Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Genorator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

Does anyone have any good websites detailing how to create electricity using magnets as a generator. I plan on buying some neodymium's off Ebay and I have magnet wire from Radio Shack to use. I need to generate at least 5V from it.
Thanks in advance!
~Mike

ac or dc?
if dc you can just use a 9v electric motor and you will get 5v
or you can use a genorater and get ac from it.

I'm almost certain any small DC motor would produce an AC output? But yes, I'm sure you could get 5v using a reasonable sized one spinning fast. I've generated enough energy to light an LED from one once, using just a small lego gear ratio and handle/wheel.

Dr.EM said:
I'm almost certain any small DC motor would produce an AC output?

Nope, DC motor will give DC output if used as generator, since the commutator works as a mechanical rectifier.

You should chek out Other Power for generators
https://www.otherpower.com

Just as info. I`ve got a 5.25" floppy drive motror that spins the disk.
It`s a 3 phase motor that i ripped out and just by spining it with my
hand I get a coule of volts out of it, it`s certinaly enough to light al led.
It`s even enough to give me a tingle in my mouth when selfelectricuting :lol:

Thanks for that link drrogla!

I only have a few questions now.
They used magnets on both side of the coils. Do these all face the same dirrection or do they alternate North pole South pole, etc?
Also, they use a three phase coil setup. The leads all come together in the middle so that only the three ends are left for the output. How would I wire this for normal 2 phase AC operation? Would I just alternate two sets of coils instead of 3 then connect them toegther on one end?
~Mike

Yes Mike they alternated the polarites on oposite magnets so that they come together S-N. with that they get a bit stronger magnetic field.

What you are talking about "3 leads ", thats called star wiring you can also conect them in delta patern. Just look around that site and check some links out, it will become clear.

You can not get a single phase ut of a 3 phase generator other than using each of the phases seperate rom one and other. That would be the easy way...

It`s more comon that you rectify the three phases with diodes and store the power in an acumulator, then use an inverter to get AC out of it at 240v or 110V.

Now if all you need is 5V DC than just use the power off the acumulator and rectyfie it to the proper voltage.
BUT BE CAREFUL!! If you build a big generator You gotta build a regulator of sorts so you dont blow your acumulator up :lol:

Božo

Hiya Mike,
Eh mate that otherpower site has a heap of info on wind gennies and here is another link to a bloke who is the wizard of wind gennies. On the site is a link to plans for building your own unit aswell as a heap of other interesting stuff so it's well worth checking it out https://www.scoraigwind.com/

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D

Mike, if you still have trouble getting your head around 3 phase check this site out for basics on 3 phase power:
https://www.windstuffnow.com/main/3_phase_basics.htm

You can also build a single phase "genny", but they arent as efficiant as 3 phase. Thats the reason for using 3 phase...

Božo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back