Germanium transistor replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hey all,

I was looking around for a low Vbe transistor to use as a switch. Germaniums had a low Vbe but are hard to come by now. I'd rather not have to use an OPA comparator, any suggestions?

Why does it need to be low Vbe?

We may be able to help you more if you tell us what you're wanting to do.

eg. post your circuit.

You could bias the base so it is 1/2 on. (bias at .3 volts)
OR
Bias the emitter at -.3 volts.

If you try to bias at 0.3 volts, don't just use 0.3 volts but use 1/2 of a diode drip so it will be temperature stable.

Well, it's a bit of an experiment, but I want to use a transistor to act as a current limit for a P Fet. The P FET Rds on is around .17 ohm, I'd like to limit the current to around 2 amps without adding more series resistance. So a .34 Vbe is too low for silicon transistor switching.

you're kind of doing this backwards, since reducing the current through the FET (by reducing the gate drive) INCREASES Vds. if your current limiter is not the FET, then it might work. you can use an op amp to sense Vds across the FET.

you could, however feed the FET with a 2A constant current source... it would be easier to help if i had more detail about what you're trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…