Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Going from Beginner to Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxzero110

I do realize that there are a lot of books on electronics, whether they are course books taught in universities or hobby project books for hobbyist. It is clear that the material is out there and people can learn this material on their own...well not all of it....

Something that needs to be realized is that for hobbyist who don't or didn't go to a university have to learn through the hobby books or books that have been recommended to them by people who are engineers or hobbyists. And there isn't a clear path as to become an advanced hobbyist (if such a class of hobbyists exist).

Now, to be quite honest I want to learn how to build embedded systems (with linux on it) and so forth. I know for a fact that I have to learn mountains of knowledge and that's not something you can learn in a year or two, so no need to tell me something I already know.

But what I do want to know is that, if I wanted to learn how to build embedded systems and I have no prior knowledge of electronics whatsoever.

What materials would you refer, so that I can have the knowledge to build an embedded system?

Please refer books, links or resources in the sequence of beginners to advance.

Thanks

NOTE : If you don't want to answer this post, then there is no need to get nasty and post replies like "Go join a university" cause if I could join a university or take courses. I would, believe that.

maxzero110,

What materials would you refer, so that I can have the knowledge to build an embedded system?

Please refer books, links or resources in the sequence of beginners to advance.

It is difficult for an advanced practitioner (AP) to advise a neophyte what to study because the AP does not realize how much he knows, and how little the neophyte does know. Therefore it is easy to assume the neophyte is up to speed on some item that he never heard of before. Also APs usually are not familiar with books that help beginners. It is better to seek advice from users who have been beginners for a while, so that their problems, experiences, and solutions are fresh in their minds. The universities have a advantage in that they have a graduated lesson plan or syllabus they follow. The best advice I can think of in your case is to "learn Linux" and "learn electronics" so that you can have the knowledge you need to tackle embeded systems.

Ratch

Last edited:
Have you considered on-line colleges like DeVry or ITT, or some other type of on-line course in electronics and embedded design?

Embedded design doesn't require expert knowledge of electronics. You need to learn programming, uP architecture, system design, things like that. Start learning C programming, gnu build tools and maybe some assembly. Then try out some programs on a cheap micro controller. The PIC architecture has great documentaion and tool sets, and won't set up back too much for a demo system. Also, each month in Circuit Cellar magazine, there is a column called "boot" or "boot up" or something like that. In there he goes over very basic stuff related to embedded programming. It takes years to get to "advanced" status, so the thing you'll need most is patience. Good luck!

Last edited:
At least one reference "Building Embedded Linus System" Karim Yaghmour, O'Rilely publishing

A good knowledge of Electronics is not strictly required initially. You can purchase Single Board Computers that run an embedded Linux system. They will provide some of the tools. I'd start there before trying to build one from scratch. Many routers use embedded Linix.

"C" is going to be essential.

I'd like to ask "What might your embedded system do"?

Keep in mind that many embedded systems don't use a full-up OS like Linux. Many, like the one I'm working on now, use a minimalist Hardware Abstraction Layer, or even something more primative. Learning about how to access different peripherals and sub-systems using both OS's and more primative systems will be essential.

Last edited:
I do realize that there are a lot of books on electronics, whether they are course books taught in universities or hobby project books for hobbyist. It is clear that the material is out there and people can learn this material on their own...well not all of it....

Something that needs to be realized is that for hobbyist who don't or didn't go to a university have to learn through the hobby books or books that have been recommended to them by people who are engineers or hobbyists. And there isn't a clear path as to become an advanced hobbyist (if such a class of hobbyists exist).

My view is if you're going to University to learn electronics, it's already far too late. By University age you should already be expert and experienced, you go to Uni to hone your skills and get qualifications - not to learn from scratch.

I learnt from scratch, probably from 9-10 years old - couldn't afford books, or components - I learnt mostly from electronics magazines, and got components from old TV's etc. at a local tip.

I started my business, more as a structured hobby, in 1978. I didn't give up a day job until 1993. This is only to qualify the following:
> Everything I've been doing the past 20+ years I learned on my own. My engineering degree (B.S. Sys Sci, Mich State '76) gave me the capacity & confidence that I Could continue to learn by my own determination.
> I'm a big fan of Freescale 9S08 series microcontrollers. Inexpensive, versatile and more flavors than Baskin Robbins. I recommend one of the Demo08 boards, from DigiKey or Mouser for $60-$100. Start the tutorial at page 1 and don't look back. This is not to denigrate PIC devices, I just learned a different architecture.
> Get an oscilloscope, it'll become your 3rd eye.
> Learn C, but the more assembler skill you develop will make you a better coder at any level (personal bias). I build embedded systems all in assembler, for clarity of purpose and speed. I write C or Visual BASIC on projects based on PCs for a Far better user interface, when req'd. Hybrid is viable too: user intf on PC, uCtrlr on mech.
Lastly: be ready for frustration And elation, and when in one remember the other. Good Hunting... <<<)))

A great tool to help with learning about the behavior of circuits, from simple resistor networks to complex electronic designs is a Spice simulator. It allows you to probe the nodes of a circuit and see how it operates without having to physically build the circuits. LTspice from Linear Technology is a free download and relatively easy to use. It simulates directly from the built-in schematic editor.

Later on you can build an actual circuit and then figure out why it may not behave exactly as the ideal circuit did in Spice. But if you have the proper models and parasitics in the Spice circuit then it will usually be close enough to the real circuit for engineering purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back