Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Golf Art!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta Designs

I am working on a sculpture for a art exhibit that is based upon the theme of Mini Golf. My sculpture is a large steel tree, life size. The interactive part of the sculpt is what I am asking for help on. I am planing on having the putter put the ball through a hole in the tree and try to get it into the golf hole on the other side. Upon the ball going though the tree it will pass though a light sensor, like the one used for garage doors, that will close a circuit that will send power to a motor that will turn 1/4 turn and release a gum ball.
So to sum it up, light sensor gets tripped that sends power up to a motor that will turn 1/4 turn.
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks

First idea: funnel the golf ball into a narrow lane with a microswitch in the bottom of the trough. That will eliminate about 20 parts required to make a light beam detector. Use that signal to trigger a "one-shot" oscillator with an "on" time proper to run the motor for the few seconds required to release a gum ball.

second idea, don't use a motor. Stack the gum balls in a vertical tube and have a solenoid kick one out every time the switch gets clicked. That eliminates the oscillator and the motor!

This can get very simple if you don't over-think it.

I'm going to assume that this is a DC geared motor. What's the voltage, current and speed of rotation?
A problem with timing a motor for precise rotation, is that due to changes in supply voltage, load, friction, and temperature, the stop-position will creep over time. A stop-position sensor/switch will resolve this. Also, geared motors slow down when the power is removed, not stop abruptly. A braking mechanism will solve this.
Attached are a couple of possible circuits.
The concept is that the dispensing wheel has cams that open a stop-switch at each position.
When the ball triggers the 555 monostable, it turns on the motor for a brief period, enough to move it beyond the stop-switch. With the 555 timed out, the motor continues to rotate until the next stop cam opens the stop-switch and stops the motor. The motor is controlled by a relay that either provides power, or shorts a resistor across the motor winding, braking the rotation. One circuit uses a laser pointer LED and photo transistor to trigger the 555, the other used a microswitch.

Ken

Attachments

• Motor 4 Point Sto&.gif
    Motor 4 Point Sto&.gif
    27 KB · Views: 129
  • Motor 4 Point Sto&.gif
    Motor 4 Point Sto&.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
If we assumed it is a stepper motor, that would take out the stop position uncertainty.

Hello...Meta...it takes 2 to have a conversation. we need information.

Thanks Bychon!

First idea: funnel the golf ball into a narrow lane with a microswitch in the bottom of the trough. That will eliminate about 20 parts required to make a light beam detector. Use that signal to trigger a "one-shot" oscillator with an "on" time proper to run the motor for the few seconds required to release a gum ball.

second idea, don't use a motor. Stack the gum balls in a vertical tube and have a solenoid kick one out every time the switch gets clicked. That eliminates the oscillator and the motor!

This can get very simple if you don't over-think it.

Thanks
Can you give me a more detailed description of the parts needed to assemble this? So the light detector is a problem spot? So you are suggesting that the ball roll over a switch, and that sends power to the solenoid that kicks a ball out. Got it! Power requirements and does this need any sort of circuit board? Do you have any other cool things that can be worked into this project that Im not thinking of?
Thanks for your help
RL

The light detector isn't really a problem. It can be done, but why go to all that bother when a switch will do the job? There are switches that a golf ball will click. They are called microswitches. The power required is the power that the solenoid uses. No circuit board is required unless you get problems with the switch stuttering, and that can probably be cured by assuring the golf ball is traveling smoothly, not hopping. For instance, get the door lock solenoid out of a car at a junque yard, or Automotive Dismantling and Recycling Emporium, as they like to be called. Get a car battery while you're there. Back at the ranch, connect one terminal of the battery to a fuse. Connect the fuse to the switch. Connect the other side of the switch to a wire on the solenoid. Connect the other wire on the solenoid to the other terminal on the battery.

Other details might include using a smaller 12 volt battery or a battery charger to supply 12 volts, finding out what size fuse will work (start with 5 amps) so you don't get glowing, melted wires when one of them gets damaged, and making a tube with a hole drilled clear through it and a rubber flap that holds the gum balls in until the solenoid kicks one out.

I am not an artful crafty person. I don't answer art questions, however, there are a lot of people at this site and more answers will be arriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back