got a 4017 comparator and LED 7 segs

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all , i have a comparator (quad) 14 pin. can a get a brief tuitorial of them and also i recieved my 7 seg LED's for my clock (i know how the decade counter works) but the LED's have a voltage rating of 2-5 volts , now does that mean my supply (9V) battery cant be used because if i measure volts under the load of the 555 and counter the volts is only 2-3 V
just wanna be sure... in electrical i alway have to use a transformer or series loads to reduce voltage, in electronics is it correct to say it can be done by resisting current to 0V (still workin on my terminology) thanks , jim

LED's have a voltage rating of 2-5 volts , now does that mean my supply (9V) battery
Put resistors in series with the LEDs to limit the current. Use the LED datasheet and Ohms Law to figure out the resistor values. ie: If the recommended LED current is 20ma (0.02A) and the LED voltage is 2V then 9-2=7V so; 7V / 0.02A = 350hm: so use the next highest standard value of 390hm:

A CD4017 is not a comparator. It is a counter/decoder with 10 outputs that sequence one after the other. It is not designed to drive a 7-segment display.

A CD4017 is not a comparator.
I think the OP just forgot to use a comma:
got a 4017, comparator and LED 7 segs.
Plus a 4017 has 16pins so I think his 14pin comparator is a LM339 or something similar.

For a really good tutorial on comparators, see **broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…