Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got any MATLAB experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donagh

Hi guys,
I working with MATLAB at the moment, I’ve some experience but not an awful lot. I’ve been asked to make a real time processing function in MATLAB, and that’s the thing. I have made all of the operations functions and everything is ready to go but I’m not sure how to operate MATLAB in real time, I don’t even know where to start.
Anyone got any pointers?

I often hear about that the data acquisition use the RS232 serial port. Is that your need?

No I have that working already, I'm taking serial strings from a microcontroller and processing them but I can only do it in a stop go sort of way, one string at a time. What I need is nonstop string processing in some sort of loop, and then I suppose I would have graphs updating with the new information that’s coming in.

I can understand your meaning. For example, the record graphic of a whole year temperature.
If you were using a ”for“ cycle operation. Can it work?

s = serial ('the COM1');% create the COM1 serial port object and identify it with an s.
the fopen ();% open COM1 serial port.
fprintf (s, 'IDN?');% to the COM1 serial port output the string 'IDN? '.
idn in = fscanf (s);% from COM1 serial port read into the characters to the variable idn.
fclose (s);% to close the COM1 serial port.
delete (s);% COM1 serial port object is removed from the computer's memory, free up space

Yeah that’s exactly how I did it. I think now though that what I’m looking for cant actually be done with MATLAB unless I pre define it to run like 1000 times. I only have to do this for a demonstration of my hardware capabilities and the next team will handle the programming interface.
Here's my code:

% Function: STRINGGET
%
% Description: code for capturing a string trtminated by 'w'
% String Description: <-...,w,w,w,w,w,w,R0444,G0444,.......,t20,W,w,w,w,w,...->
% Trigger: 'S'
% Serial Port Terminator: 'w'
% BaudRate : 19200
% Input Buffer Size: 4500 CHAR
% Timeout: 60 seconds
%
% Inputs: ADuC842 UART serial string
% Outputs: serial string

s = serial('COM1');
%create serial port object on COM1

set(s,'BaudRate',19200, 'Parity','none', 'Terminator', 'w', 'InputBufferSize', 4500, 'Timeout', 60);
% set serial port object peramiters

fopen(s);

fprintf(s, 'S'); % send 'S' CHAR to ADuC842

str = fgetl(s); % read string from input buffer of serial port object

k = str % move string into k for opperations

fclose(s);
delete(s) % object must be closed, deleted and removed from the workspace
clear s

I can run this in a for loop with 1:1000 and make some kickass graphs.
I been looking into plotting now and I have arrays like P_Ar(1 to 6,1 to 1000,1 to 62)
do you think I should try and plot this info as it comes in or after I have finished placing it into the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back