Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS project

Status
Not open for further replies.
book about GPS and micro

thank's for your post, i try google and yahoo but i want to see is anyone else work in this site or no i want a book about GPS in micro
who can help me about book
thanks again

Last edited:
What book did you have in mind? Most free books can be found online even with Yahoo. I'm not aware of any commercial books that cover PIC BASIC & GPS projects. You might try some of the free Parallax BASIC Stamp books and project guides.

All GPS modules output NMEA0183, which is simply a bunch of ASCII-encoded serial port data. 4800 (or sometimes 9600) baud, 8N1. There are a lot of sentences in that protocol but the one containing lat/long is the critical one (obviously).

In fact, if the voltages are compatible you can simply hook the GPS output to your PC serial port, start up Hyperterminal, and watch the NMEA sentences go by.

The MSSP module can read it and it's also possible to bit-bang the interface. Being ASCII you will need to write code to interpret it as binary-encoded numbers to work with.

Some modules have proprietary modes you can invoke with a specific command sent to the module. Many are serial-encoded binary data which is faster than ASCII. These modes may have more specific GPS data than offered through the NMEA0183 standard sentences. Some GPSes even have commands to reconfigure the receiver mode to something more appropriate to what you need (walking vs flying).

Also proprietary sentences may be used with NMEA mode to change the frequency of messages, the baud rate, etc. The GPS will still output NMEA0183 data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back