Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyqwq

hi all.

currently im working on some kind of signal processing. the main goal is grid freq measurement via opamp and microprocessor. Actually its working but im not sure about wiring diagram.

This is the scheme here.
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-26 at 14.44.54.jpeg

IMPORTANT NOTE: I just realize that i forgot to draw a wire in paper. It 's NEUTRAL connected to 0V. And opamps work with +-8V.

this is the inside of the dual rail power supply:
circuit.png

Only difference between mine and that is chassis connection(and also im using lm7808/7908 against of lm7812/7912). I didnt wire chassis to the transformer's chassis yet.

In this circuit i can get pulses from output of the comparator (lm324). But im not sure about Neutral-0V connection. Im little bit confusing .

Is it true or should i connect to the chassis to power supply's 0V ??

Thanks.QWERTY

Last edited:
To make the op-amp work you need neutral and 0V connected.
Do not connect (power line ground) to neutral. They are almost the same thing but not quite.
Some times I see a outlet with line and neutral reversed. This will make your box "hot".
If you are only measuring frequency then you can add isolation to make it safe.
The optocoupler does not care if L & N are reversed.

Do not connect (power line ground) to neutral.

Yes i know Ron. But thanks for remind .

If you are only measuring frequency then you can add isolation to make it safe.

Im also want to comparating with some kind of voltages (maybe after this tutorial), so i need analog circuitry.

This is a good one. I will use it with my other projects. Thanks.

To make the op-amp work you need neutral and 0V connected.

So your saying that my circuit is true ,right ?

Many thanks for all kind of replies.. :)

QWERTY.

I tend to connect power supply 0v reference to earth GND as is normal in a PC based P.S. etc.
Also when working in a noisy environment such as servo's it is common practice, inc such as setting up a star GND point somewhere on the chassis or enclosure.
The neutral is never connected to any low voltage control circuitry.
Max.

I tend to connect power supply 0v reference to earth GND as is normal in a PC based P.S. etc.
Also when working in a noisy environment such as servo's it is common practice, inc such as setting up a star GND point somewhere on the chassis or enclosure.
The neutral is never connected to any low voltage control circuitry.
Max.

i just find a great website about pc smps's noises. Here it is.

In the documents ground pin of the grid connected to the dc's gnd...

QWERTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back