GSM modem+PIC+Mem card+LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pago

Hi all!

I've already searched for what i need in this forum and found some usefull info for what i need although i need some more specific help!

What i need to do is to interface a GSM Modem with a PIC (i'm thinking in 16F628). As Storage i'm thinking to interface the Pic with an SD Mem card as well.
What is intended to do is everytime a sms is sent to GSM modem that message should be automatically received, Stored on memory card and showed on a LCD module.

For the LCD module actions it should have a scroll up/down buttons on the PIC that should shown all messages stored (or the first ten ones) by the order from the last message received.

The Big questions are:

Should i use for all the interfaces Pic or an 8051 CPU?
In case one or another could someone advise me the best suitable LCD display?
Where can i find more info on how to interface a GSM modem with a PCI or CPU?
Has someone experienced to interface a PIC or CPU with an memory card?

Thanks to all in advance.

In case more details need it's just ask!
(the intention is to try not invent what already exists!)
------
Pago

Last edited:
well ..for details u start with www.winpicprog.co.uk and www.piclist.com .there are lot of resources , and issues already addressed
the pic->sd card interfacing is already posted in this forum elsewhere pls search

Yes, that's right AKg

After this post i've searched for a PIC -> SD mem card interface and found usefull info.

But once i'll need all interfaces together i'm in doubt using PICs or a 8051CPU (or other best fit CPU).

P.S. - By the way i'm considering about using an mobile phone instead a GSM modem. It's cheaper
What would you sugest in this case?

Thanks for reply
Pago

Last edited:
Pago said:
Yes, that's right AKg

After this post i've searched for a PIC -> SD mem card interface and found usefull info.

But once i'll need all interfaces together i'm in doubt using PICs or a 8051CPU (or other best fit CPU).

Use whichever you already know, if you don't know any micro-controller?, the PIC is the most popular and the easiest to learn (and is almost a generic term for micro-controller).

Nigel Goodwin said:
As with anything!
I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't practically debatable and not say like debating that Apples come in cube shapes.

but it's the smallest instruction set, and has the most suppport.
Which is not even close to being the only contributing factors to 'easy to use'. But we have debated this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…