Guitar amp IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletcher

I have a Guitar amp that has two DIP8 ICs Which read:

458DD
JRC
5185B

What IC is equivalent? I have some OPA2132P, will that work?

Fletcher said:
I have a Guitar amp that has two DIP8 ICs Which read:

458DD
JRC
5185B

What IC is equivalent? I have some OPA2132P, will that work?

Generally twin-opamps use the same pin connections, so you should be OK.

Are the opamps faulty or something?.

There was no sound at all. Ive replaced them and it seems to work now, although now there is a terrible buzz which i cant seem to get rid of.

Fletcher said:
There was no sound at all. Ive replaced them and it seems to work now, although now there is a terrible buzz which i cant seem to get rid of.

Randomly replacing parts isn't a good method of fault finding, you need to trace the signal (or inject a signal) to find what's happening, and take voltage measurements to see what's wrong.

Opamps are VERY reliable devices, it seems extremely unlikely that two would fail? - unless something nasty has happened? (like too much supply voltage?).

Yes, and the him/buzz you hear may have a LOT to do with why the original amps failed. Hum is normally eliminated by employing filter capacitors and good grouding.

How old is the unit? There is a chance, if the amp has been sitting idle for a long time in less than ideal conditions (a grarage), you have large filter capacitors with dried up electrolyte. This is a common repair on antique radios, for instance.

How much have you checked? Voltages? Cold Solder joints? etc...

PW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…