Guitar to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elMickotanko

Hi,
Im a newbie who has caught the electronics bug.

I would like to build a circuit that i could plug my guitar into then it goes into the line-in of my souncard, so that i can play over my music on cubase (drum loops etc) and it will all come out my monitors.

/GUITAR/------>/MY CIRCUIT/------>/PC line in/ +midi drums etc /PC line out/----->/MONITORS/

I have a VST plugin called 'amplitube' which is GREAT for tube amp effects and others so I only need a clean sound going into the PC.

Could anyone recomend a circuit or any help at all?

I take it the pickups on a guitar generate voltage - what sort of value is associated with it (eg. uV, mV)?

Thanks,
Mick

Check out this circuit. I use this for my acoustic guitar, and I like to be able to play with the sound a bit, using this. The amplification isn't too much as to overload the sound card. It works good for me, and for recording. The op amp is a tinsy bit noisy, but I can take the noise out of my recordings using Cakewalk.
https://www.redcircuits.com/#Audio

go all of the way to the bottom of the page, where you'll find music related schematics. The circuit that I am referring to is the "Guitar Control" circuit.

I also have a PCB design that I can send, if you want.

I just used a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and pluged my electric right into the sound card. The sound is clean and it works fine.

Good point. I did this for a while, until I wanted to change the output audio using an EQ function. The pickup that I have tends to overpronounce the bass strings of my guitar.

One issue that I had with plugging my pickup directly into the sound card is that I had to turn the line in volume way up, which caused some distortion issues when recording. Be on the look out for such an issue if you plug directly into the sound card. Unless you're already distorting the signal with a pedal or something.

I'm a total NEWB with the guitar. I've only used this direct plugin method for recording and playback of stuff that I'm trying to play correctly.

I've heard that the sound does vary depending on the guitar (output) and the sound card. I have a Made in Mexico Strat and when plugged into my laptop soundcard it works well. I have no idea if there's any way to change the sound or reproduce a pedal of some kind in software. Otherwise, the direct plugin method is pretty limited for recording purposes.

Cheers for the link im going to Maplins tomorrow to get the stuff. Could you send the PCB design? I can get it made in college hopefully.

Ive tried plugging straight in, but its too weak and when I turn my speakers up theres a constant buzzing noise which stops when I dampen the strings, does this mean a dodgy connection or anything?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…