Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gunshot sound detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAK

hi,

I want to start project about gunshot sound detecting, i search for it with google and read a lot of article.
but i don't know how can i start it.i mean at first which type of microphones i need and then what is the circuit for this high frequency sound to detect.
i can process sound in Matlab but i don't know how can i do this in micro-controller such as Arm and Avr.
i want to hear sound with microphones and then send data to micro-controller and then the micro analys the sound at last if the sound is gunshot sound , micro produce sound to alert.

if anyone have any article or anything to guide me in this project please give me.
and i hear your advice and of course if do that.

with regard
AAAK

What kind of brain will determine if the sound is something that has fallen, thunder or a firecracker?

Why would you want such a device?

Welcome to the forum.

How about using a audio spectrum analyser chip like a msgeq7 I think it is, then you can look for a frequency content.

A gunshot detector might be useful here in Canada where most people have never heard a gunshot, unlike some countries where there are gunshots all over the place all the time.

Hi

I am from Iran, and in my country we have very wild animal. unfortunately illegal haunting hold very of them into the extinction limit.
I want to set the sensor in protected area and then if anyone produce the gunshot sound, the sensor alert the station for chase the violator.

thanks for your helping

Welcome to the forum.

How about using a audio spectrum analyser chip like a msgeq7 I think it is, then you can look for a frequency content.

msgeq7 chip has 2 problem:
1- max frequency of this chip is 16khz and it's low for gunshot analyzing.
2-I think it's not very practical to use it in sensor and it's accuracy is low.

I do not understand why some people in your country shoot rare and wild animals in a protected area.

Last edited:
In that case you'd probably better use a dsp.

So many variables! The report of a gun is similar to that of a thunder clap, shunting rail cars, two books slapped together and so on. How large is the area to be protected? What kind of terrain? Open land or wooded? How far are the monitoring stations apart from each other? Is there a common grazing or watering area? Is there a large body of water? Is there a manned (24/7) monitoring station? What is the budget?
I could go on and on....E

Hey AAAK,

Perhaps this tutorial will, at least, give you an idea what's needed if you use the device (the msgeq7 IC) dr pepper suggested: **broken link removed**

As you'll see, the msgeq7 "shield" made by Sparkfun is preferred.

The Arduino/msgeq7 combo will output a variable DC level for each of the 7 frequency "bands". These DC signals could also be compared to a set of comparable signal levels that mimic the sound(s) a shotgun makes which, in turn, can be used to trigger an alarm.

As can be seen from the image, (Rifle recording)a gunshot sound is very complex, and to break it down into the individual components for analysis and recognition will require much more than a few simple filters. You can get the sound file from here: https://soundbible.com/1788-Sniper-Rifle.html
This is no trivial task if you want something that is reliable and does not sound the alarm falsely.
gunshot.PNG

I do not understand why some people in your country shoot rare and wild animals in a protected area.
Avarice has a lot to do with that. :rolleyes:

Since this appears to be a somewhat isolated area, the only thing you may have to discriminate against is thunder.
You should be able to do that by sensing the duration of the sound as thunder usually has a long duration echo after the initial sound.
I would think a rifle shoot would have a rather high, limited duration sound.
I don't think you need to use any sort of spectrum analysis to do this discrimination, other than perhaps, some high-pass filtering.

You also need to detect several types of gunshots.

Real sounds.

It probably wouldnt be wise to venture into the woods if there was automatic .762 fire.

A gunshot detector might be useful here in Canada where most people have never heard a gunshot, unlike some countries where there are gunshots all over the place all the time.
Gee, and here I always thought hunting was popular in Canada? :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back