H bridge using all n fets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

I was looking at a 12V H Bridge motor controller and it has only N FETs (4 IRF3205). I did find that there was 20 volts on board which I presume is to fire the N FETs, but when I tried to simulate, I could keep the Fet from conducting through the Fet diode. I tried to see how they did it, but it is a multi layer board.
Any idea of how this works?
Thanks,
Kinarfi

The source of the top FET goes towards the center of the H.

You need to drive the high side fet gates with enough voltage to make sure you get the rds on.
For a 12v automotive application you could either do this by building a dc to dc converter to step up to a higher voltage or use gate transformers on the fets.

They also make high side drivers that have a 'boost charge circuit' to produce a higher than source gate voltage to turn on the high side N-Fets.

He has a 12 volt H-Bridge, but also has 20 volts on the same board. He has 8 volts left to turn on the high side FETs. He doesn't need a charge pump or bootstrap circuit.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, I had 2 of the FETs upside down, the two tied to +12v had the source to + instead of the drain, I also plan to use 10V for the control circuit and 4N35 opto isolators to fire the FETs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…