Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hamming code 8,4 error correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
To implement error checking in a noisy IR link I was thinking of using Hamming code in the "8,4" modality to transmit any value between 0 and 255.

Considering the data to be xmitted : D8 D7 D6 D5 D4 D3 D2 D1 the Hamming code is:

HI_PACK = X X X X D8 D7 D6 D5
LO_PACK = P4 D4 D3 D2 P3 D1 P2 P1, where Dx = data bit and Px = parity bit

For 240, the Hamming code is XXXX - 1 1 1 1 - 0 0 0 0 - 1 0 0 0, and
for 249, the Hamming code is XXXX - 1 1 1 1 - 0 1 0 0 - 0 1 0 0

240 transmited (corrupted) as XXXX - 1 1 1 1 - 0 1 0 0 - 1 0 0 0 is recovered by software as 240.

240 transmited (corrupted) as XXXX - 1 1 1 1 - 0 1 0 0 - 1 1 0 0, is recovered by software as 249.

Considering that the occurrence of two corrupted bits off twelve is likely to happen, how can I overcome the above? The capability to correct signals with one corrupted bit only, seems a poor solution, even more, dangerous.

How to distinguish from 1 to 2 corrupted bits to know if correction is to be applied or packs simply discarded?

Being new to all this I started to wonder if majority voting could then be applied AFTER the above process?

I will appreciate concrete suggestions/replies to elinghten me.

Sorry, Hamming code offers one bit correction only..... it is used mostly for environments with low noise, like in memory of a computer.. if the environment is very noisy, u will probably have to be content with error checking. Hamming code can tell u of error, no matter how many bits have gone bad, but will offer correction for only one bit error.

Normally, we simply use modulation in IR links to avoid noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back