Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand Size Estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsize

I'm trying to estimate the area of hand. It does not need to be accurate; just a estimation is enough.
I'm thinking of using ultrasonic sensors to sweep along the width of hand and estimate the area of hand proportionally.
However, sensors that could measure the width costs too much for a class project.
How should I go on with this idea?
Does anyone have any other ideas that might make it more easier?

Last edited:
Is there a software or like a code I could look into so that I would be able to calculate the area based on the bitmap?

Can't you jsut threshold each pixel and count how many pass the threshold? Perhaps use a fudge factor to help get things a bit more accurate if not all areas of the hand are scanned.

That should work. If you put a black paper over the hand eveything that is not hand should scan very dark, so you can set the threshold quite low and just count pixels.

As a faster method, why not use a webcam pointing down, with the hand on a black paper card? It should be pretty accurate if the hand is flat on a surface and distances remain constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back