hank's cranky rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Fletcher

Sorry to effectively double post this, but I'm still looking for an answer, and now a soap box from which to rant as well.

I just got off the phone with:
1. Support staff at robotshop.ca
2. Support staff at tower hobbies
3. Technical support at THE ACTUAL TAMIYAUSA HEADQUARTERS

Not one of them could tell me how many if any crank arms come with the tamiya double gear box. This is how part of my conversation with the Tamiya guy went:
T.G.: I have the same information you have here, I can't really tell you anything other than that.
H.F.: But wouldn't it make sense that, with two motors, it comes with two crank arms?
T.G.: Yeah, that would probably make sense.
H.F.: Well, in case it doesn't, does Tamiya sell extra crank arms I can get somewhere...?
T.G.: No. The double gearbox is just meant as a model so that people can see how different gear ratios work.
H.F.: It's meant for looking at, not actually for use in a larger model?
T.G.: No, not really.
H.F.: So there's nothing you can tell me about this crank arm, then?
T.G.: No, sorry.
H.F.: I guess I'll just have to find someone who has bought and taken a close look at the gearbox?
T.G.: I suppose that's what you'll have to do.
H.F.: Okay, thanks.

Thanks for what, you knob-end?!

Last edited:
I didn't mention that in order to reach technical support at robotshop.ca, you have to send them a message through their website. So I did, specifically mentioning my concern with the ambiguous wording of the dual gearmotor and whether it included any crank arms at all. I just received their e-mail back:

Hello Mr. Fletcher:
>
> Yes, there is an axle on each side, as demonstrated in the product's image.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan Brunet
Am I nuts here? I figured I'd made it pretty clear what I'm trying to find out! I should probably mention that the title of my message and the consequent reply was, to my mind, quite clearly worded: "tamiya double gearbox crank arm?"

Last edited:
The double gearbox does not come with crank arms.

The 4 Speed crankaxle gearbox does. But is it only has 1 motor.

3v0 said:
The double gearbox does not come with crank arms.
But how do you explain the description that's included here:
http://www.robotshop.ca/home/produc...gears-motors/tamiya-double-gearbox-70168.html

Which in all fairness is taken verbatim from descriptions for this all over the Internet:

Includes motor cover and crank arm. Case and gear made from durable plastic.
I've got to get back to the robotshop.ca people again. Here's the second response to my inquiry:
The link is to the Tamiya 4-Speed Crank Axle Gear Box, regardless of the fact the e-mail he replied to is still the original: tamiya double gearbox crank arm?‏

And, AND, in my original message to robotshop.ca I even quoted them THEIR part number reference to the part I was inquiring about, the Tamiya 70168.

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
But how do you explain the description that's included here...

"Double Gearbox" ITEM 70168.

No crank arm in any of the 10 or so that I have had my hands on. I even checked a new never opened one just to be sure.

The description is wrong. They are confused.

You may be able to buy the arm from Tamiya.

EDIT: If you want I can take a pic of the boxes contents....

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know! I've been looking around for extra arms, but the closest I can find is this:
https://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2015.html
I can't tell from the photo if the bores are for 3mm hex or not. I mean, how am I suppose to cut a hex hole, or otherwise connect to a 3mm hex axle, anyway?

Thanks for the offer of the pic of the contents, but as long as it contains everything you need to make the thing in the promotional photo, then I guess it's all okay. I'd still like to know what I'm suppose to do about this whole hex axle puzzle, though!

You could buy the Tamiya wheels and cut off the bits you don't want.

Mike.

From the same site
3mm Diameter Axle Set from Tamiya
**broken link removed**

The 3mm Diameter Shaft Set includes eight hex shafts of various lengths. Also included in the set are two adjustable crank arms with a hex wrench for tightening the crank arm set screws. Shaft Diameter: 3mm. Crank Arms: Two (2).

EDIT:
I can't tell from the photo if the bores are for 3mm hex or not. I mean, how am I suppose to cut a hex hole, or otherwise connect to a 3mm hex axle, anyway?
Round hole with set screw.

Last edited:
You could buy the Tamiya wheels and cut off the bits you don't want.

Mike
That's the best I've been able to come up with, too. They have an small offroad set of four wheels that seem reasonable. The two wheel smooth surface and offroad sets come with a separate hub - I guess that might be useful, too. I don't like having to wreck something (in the first case) or not use some portion of a product (as in the second case) when it's reasonable to presume there ought to be a better option (like a package of various arms), but what are you going do?

There's are market there in making those hex hole arms, if you ask me.

3v0 said:
From the same site
3mm Diameter Axle Set from Tamiya
Thanks for that! I hadn't spent a lot of time looking around the hobbyengineering website yet for this kind of stuff, but I've bought other things from them before and remember that it was a pretty good time, so I might do that again.

Funny that I couldn't find any reference to that particular kit on the actual Tamiya site, nor was in recommended by the Tamiya staff member I spoke with. Is it possibly because these things go in and out of production?

Hank Fletcher said:
Thanks for that! I hadn't spent a lot of time looking around the hobbyengineering website yet for this kind of stuff,... Is it possibly because these things go in and out of production?

I went to the Tamiya site where they have a google site search. I googled for "Crank Arm" and found the number for the set. It was out of stock, went back to the site you were using and found it there.

Do not know if the fact that Tamiya does not have them in stock means anything or not.

One of the reasons I like the forum is that you can get real help here. Lots of people and everyone is good at one thing or another.

But I only take paypal.
Find by me, I don't have a credit card, anyway! Can you imagine? I'd go out of control. Nope, at least until the student loan's paid off, it's cash only (and a trusting girlfriend for emergencies) for me!

Only the crank axle gearboxes come with crank axles.
Try to contact the local Tamiya distributor and get a catalog.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…