Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

has anybody used SDCC for programming PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

has anybody used the "Small Device C Compiler" for programming PICs in C??

i know that it is a text based complier and the open source software people are developing it but it seems promising.

u can find it here https://sourceforge.net/projects/sdcc/

a short description of the compiler from the above link

SDCC is an open source retargettable, optimizing ANSI - C compiler. The current version targets the Intel 8051, Zilog Z80, Dallas 80C390, Motorola HC08 and Microchip PIC MCUs.

its good to know that i can program for a number of microcontrollers. and its free!!!!!!!!!!

now i dont want to start another debate on C Vs Assembly or Pascal or anything like that. i realize the importance of all programming languages and i respect the users of all programming languages (aint i good at making diplomatic statements 8) )

i just want to know that has anyone had experience with this compiler?

I know its possible, but i have had no luck. Problem is its not user friendly, if you dont know linux and are not used to command line apps then ur dead.

I will see if i can contact someone who knows, he used it with the PIC18F4xx series (or a couple of em). The PIC16Fxxx series is not supported, at least i do not think there are any libaries for it.

The main problem is a IDE, they have a windows version but it would be great if someone could write a tut for getting it to work in a IDE, even better if someone made a downloadable pre-fab setup ;)

SDCC is a very good idea but as already mentioned it is not very user friendly. Tried using it but in the end, took the easy way out and used PICCLite from Hi-Tech (extremely simple set-up and 16f877 is supported - with limitations on the Lite version).

On the IDE side, have been using Eclipse with the C/C++ plugin. With a make file, you can hide all the command line stuff ... sweet :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back