Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSkyHawk

Are the PIC microcontrollers capable of performing SHA256 or scrypt hashing? I have seem some examples of MD5 and SH1.

To me bitcoin is a bit out of reach for a hobbyist and the price has fluctuated way too much for me to want to keep a balance. There is an endless list of coins still growing that are able to be mined without needing a ton of hardware. If anything, it has been fun messing around with them. Cryptocurrencies have had their share of bad press but when doing further research, I believe it has a real place.

Back to the tech question, what would prevent a PIC from being able to run the C code that generates the hashes?

Pic32 should manage it.. It all comes down to variables.... Most small micro's can do the math but when you use a math library you will run out of RAM... The math library itself will need quite a bit...

For a job of this nature you will be looking at 4K + of RAM... dispic and pic24 /32 should be able to cope..

With 40-80mhz, what kind of hash per second would this produce? I know it would depend on the code but a ball park would be nice.

Pass... I don't know how many calculations there are in a hash.... but to do 33 thousand a second is a big ask for a micro.

You'll notice they use FPGA's to do this... I also notice there are different levels of hashing... sha-256 seems to be the hardest...

If you go to the open source web pages... You can take a peek at the size of the job before you decide.... You may be better off with a FPGA anyway!

SHA256 requires lots of 32-bit rotations - about 500 per transform, plus other stuff

PIC18. They can only rotate 8-bit by one position per instruction, so you'll need about 30 to 40 instructions per rotation - 20,000 per transform. At 20MHz - 5MIPS it's about 250/sec. But PIC18 will require lots of overhead, so 100/sec would be a good rate.

PIC24. It has 16-bit rotations by arbitrary amount, so it's 4-5 instructions per rotation - 2500 per transform. At 80MHz - 40MIPS it's about 16k/sec. But other operations will weigh more, so I guess 3-5k/sec may be achived.

In both cases, it'll take a lot of creativity and hard work to achive these rates.

PIC32. It's 32-bit, so should be faster, but I'm not familiar with its instruction set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back