Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having a Crack at "C"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

After doing a few PIC projects in ASM I am starting to appreciate the value of a higher level language.

I have done some programming with C (on my PC) and am now looking at porting some of the PIC projects which arent time critical to C.

Taking a look at the MicroChip site there is a C18 compiler which looks great but would need activating after 60 days once I pay £250 for the full software.

This would be the second most expensive addition after my o-scope.

Can anyone recommend any substitutes, is C18 the best on the market for PIC's?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

UTMonkey said:
Taking a look at the MicroChip site there is a C18 compiler which looks great but would need activating after 60 days once I pay £250 for the full software.
The C18 compiler will be fully functional after 60 days, but it won't optimize the code. You said that you don't need to write time-critical routines, so I don't see any problem with the free version.

UTMonkey said:
Can anyone recommend any substitutes, is C18 the best on the market for PIC's?
You can take a look at Hi-Tech PICC (my personal favourite for the PIC16) or BoostC.

BTW are you going to use a PIC16 or a PIC18?

BoostC

Take a look at Sourceboost C. It isn't very expensive if you buy it. Or you can start out with the (size limited) version for free!!. I use the 40 dollar version which has a 4 k limit for 16F and 8 k for 18F.

www.sourceboost.com

It has it's own IDE or can integrate into MPLAB.

Although my C experience is limited C18 seems like it'll cover anything and it limitations are minimal. All the Microchip sample code is written for C18.
On another note have you tried Swordfish BASIC? Pretty nice compiler and the IDE is great (since Swordfish doesn't support debug you might as well use its IDE, it can be made to 1button compile & program with the Junebug / PICkit2)

I would go with C18 as the free version will do pretty much anything you would want of it. If you have any VB experience then you will find Swordfish Basic a doddle.

I suggest you try them both.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back