Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

OK, this is what happend, i was backing up a neighbours computer on to one of my hard drives, she had no room in her case and i didnt want to be juggleing hard drives all day long, so i did what i usually do and rested the hard drive on the case.

I bumped the computer before the backup got to 2% and i heard a bang, the powersupply safety switch whent and I was left with a bad smell. On inspection of the hard drive i found one of the resistors had blown, but i was unable to find any further damage.

Is it possible for me to find the correct value resistor and replace it? (im not sure what value the resistor had because it was one of those tiny ones with the numbers and the resistor itself no longer exists)

I believe the hard drive will still work.

Please help, Thankyou

It is impossible to say, but worth a try. The short could have burned up lots of other stuff and there's just no telling.

if it doesnt work then there is no great loss.

I was just wondering if there is somewhere i could find a schematic so i can work out which resistor (the value) i need to replace.

andrew12345678 said:
if it doesnt work then there is no great loss.

I was just wondering if there is somewhere i could find a schematic so i can work out which resistor (the value) i need to replace.

Not a chance, I wouldn't have thought?.

Your only hope is to compare it to an identical drive.

BTW, what make and model was the drive, someone here may have one they could photograph for you?.

Its A Quantum Fireball lct 20

looks like it is an SMT resistor.

Check the numbers on it.

I assume there are 3 numbers.
I think the third number means the number of 0's to add.
So if the number is 103, then it is 10000 ohms, meaning 10K.

But I don't know if that will correct the problem.

well, im pretty sure it did have numbers on it, but there isnt enough left to read, thats why i need either a schematic or someone to tell me the correct resistance (if they have the same HDD or a schematic).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back