Help 3 Prototyping with a stripboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody.
First many thanks for the help in the two posts of my project: Potentiometers and Solenoid valves.
In this post you will notice how much of a novice I am so please a help will be appreciated.

this time it is simple. So far my only experience with circuits has been using breadboards.
Now it seems I have to do the circuits I asked for using what is called a "stripboard". Well I have never used one and didnt even know the name.

Can anybody point to me a good tutorial on this?

Bear in mind that I dont know anything about it (and gosh! I am so useless at soldering but that is another story)

for example, I have a question.

In the breadboards there are established patterns such as

Code:
+ -------- -------- -------- ---------- --------- -----------
-  -------- -------- -------- ---------- --------- -----------
   | | | |   | | | |    | | | |    | | | | |   | | | | |

and you know that if you put say one side of a resistor then you can put a cable in another hole of the same column and they will be connected.

in stripboards there are just holes..... after you put the resistors, caps and stuff (and if I manage to solder them ) how do you connect one to another???

Sorry for the ignorant question

Kansai

The board you are referring to is called strip board because it has strips of copper on the back. Look at Nigel's .

Mike.

Kansai, the 'strip board' is just what it sounds like, long strips of copper trace connecting all the holes in a row, sometimes there are more complex busses similiar to a breadboard layout, if you want to connect different rows together you solder jumper wires inbetween, if you want to break up a column you use a tool to remove the copper between two holes. It's pretty simple stuff. Managing the layout can get a little tricky though.

Thanks for the help. I will check the page you pointed at.
just one thing. You guys say there are stips of copper connecting the holes... somehow I dont see them...

thanks again

Attachments

• 10-01-19_001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 240
That's not vero/strip board. That's just plated landings on perf board. You have to point to point solder them. If you have a lot of connections to a single leg of a component it can be difficult without using nearby holes as extra landing pads and solder bridges to connect them. I use Cat3/5 solid core wire for each spot. The board tend to look quiet messy afterwards but they work great.

Here is the copper horizontal strips on the back of stripboard. I show two circuits with the strips cut and the jumper wires and parts connecting the strips into circuits.

Attachments

• stripboard.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 511
Here is the copper horizontal strips on the back of stripboard. I show two circuits with the strips cut and the jumper wires and parts connecting the strips into circuits.

Looks very neat. Could I have a look at one finished soldering?

What did you use to drill the copper off, it doesn't look like a regular twist drill bit. Where do you get stripboard?
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Stripboard was first made by the Vero company and it is called Veroboard.
I always used epoxy-fiberglass Veroboard from England until Vero sold the Veroboard division to a group of its workers then it was not available anymore in Canada. I used the terrible poor quality Radio-Shack one for a few years.

I was lucky that a local Chinese electronic parts store sold an excellent Chinese copy that I used for about 15 years until it was not available anymore. Then I found an Arab electronic parts store that sells a Taiwan copy that stinks (made from dung?) and warps but I still use it.

You cut the tracks with the tool at the top of this photo,

Or, you use a twist drill.

Mike.

I use a 1/8" drill bit in a electric screwdriver which turns about 1 rev/second. That takes the wrist pain out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…