Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help choosing resistors for LM317

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudaboy_71

Hey all,

I'm a complete electronics greenhorn. So, be easy.

I googled this post, which is similar to what i'm attempting...but not exactly.

click here

my task is similar. I have a hobby-grade regulator pumping out 6vdc. But, for one of the components attached i need a regulated 3.3vdc. I considered just putting 4 diodes in series to drop the voltage. but, due to the loads on the regulator, i'm getting a voltage drop of as much as .4v per diode which is not an acceptable delta for the 3.3v device.

so, now i'm looking at wiring up an LM317 as a secondary regulator for the 3.3vdc device.

i've looked at the schematic of the regulator. but, i don't know how to read it. it may as well be sheet music or klingon.

#1 can someone recommend the right resistors i'd need to step down 6.02vdc (regulated) to 3.3vdc.

#2 would you mind explaining in English what gets soldered to what...or giving an explanation of how to read the schematic.

many, many thanks in advance.

What is being powered by the 3.3V? IOW, how much current does the regulator have to pass?

Last edited:
The datasheet for the LM317 explains how and shows how to do it. Most examples show the more expensive LM117 that uses a 240 ohm resistor but the LM317 needs a 120 ohm reasistor and a new calculation for the potentiometer's resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back