HELP- Clearing out an Estate- PACKED with Electronics Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creade

Good Morning, and hello to you all.

As of late I have been assisting in clearing out an estate of a gentleman who passed away.
His workshop was almost entirely electronics components, vintage receivers, project boxes, motorola radios, HP computers, oscillascopes, tube radios, and tool chest upon tool chest of random "parts".

Im not overly familiar with the majority of this stuff and was hoping for some direction as to who to contact, where to post, what to do!!

Im in South Eastern Wisconsin and have most of this packaged up and moving to my home currently for liquidation.

Any suggestions on what the next step might be would be greatly appreciated.

I know for a fact that there is alot of expensive stuff here, and I dont want to just go give it away when the family/estate could benefit greatly from the cash.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I'd stick it up on Ebay in various lots of similar items (not too much stuff in each lot) and let the public decide on what its worth.

Obviously take your fee for your time taken to list, photograph, package and post the items and the rest goes back to the estate.

I used to do this with old IT kit companies were clearing out many moons ago - didn't make much but enough to make it worth my while.

Unfortunately, I dont know what the majority of it is to be honest.

Sure theres a few thousand packaged archer items, that I can read the label and know enough to list it on ebay, but all of the stuff thats in styrofoam boxes with just part or model numbers, etc.... I really dont know what to call it other than "Electronics"
The huge Motorola radios, the Oscilliscopes and what not, I will definately not be listing on ebay, just because its too much of a headache to try and ship.

I was hoping someone local might chime in and say they wanted to stop in and tell me what it all is, or better yet, buy it all!! hah

Wishful thinking i guess.

I think people assume that old electronics stuff has intrinsic value when in reality most of it is junk. If you can identify items that are rare and sought after then they have value. Unfortunately, the rarest of items only have value to the right person.

Maybe you should post some details here as the posters here are more likely to value the items higher than Ebay people.

Mike.
Edit, things like vintage radios do have value and you should get someone to value them. I was thinking more of components.

Last edited:
I will have to make up a list of things that I can determine what they are.

But out of this first box of packed up stuff just the first few things I grab for example...
- Kay Attennator Model 432D 50 Ohms
- Boxed Amphenol Dials/Tuning Knobs.
- EFP Module Kits by Vector
- Heathkit Microcomputer Learning Center.
- Sylvania ECG HIgh Speed IC Neg. Edge Triggered Flip Flops
- Experimentor 300 Continental Specialties (little white circuit Boards?)
- HP45 Program Cards
- Bunker Ramo Ampehnol Coax Connectors
- Motorola Chips
- Vector Unused Circuit Boards
- Assored Size Project boxes

Thats just a little mix of the type of stuff thats here
in one box. I have approx 30 boxes, many with thousands of loose parts that I have no idea what they are.

I have huge Motorola Radios (I believe out of commercial trucks?)

Obviously thats hardly a real explanation of whats here, but does any of this stuff sound like it could have value?

Actually, some of the hardware may be much more valuable than the electronics. A knob or dial that is not made anymore will command a much higher price than an capacitor or something for which an electrical equivalent is made today. As an example, the access doors and knobs for old Delta machinery command prices of $35 to $90 each. I got my floor-model shaper complete with two doors and two knobs for a little more than $200. It's silly (to me), but a collector will pay almost anything to get something that "matches" the original.

I second the eBay option. You may want to find some old guy in the neighborhood who can help you sort the stuff.

John

I guess I'm getting old as I recognize almost all of the items that you listed from that first box, plus I used to repair old Motorola radios from trucks. I would be interested in buying the entire lot if shipping could be arranged cheaply. Would you care to correspond by email. Please PM me to discuss further.

Ron

Whatever you do you should first try to establish the value of the items so you dont short change the estate or your self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…