Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! Creating a firmware for LCD projectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatSP

Our project proposal is to create an emdedded device that would take PowerPoint Show (.pps) files as an input.

This device takes the input from a USB flash drive. There will be an interface that will enable the user to select a single or multiple PowerPoint show (.pps) files. Inside the device, a conversion of the .pps file to .jpeg file will occur.
The .jpeg file will be shown in the LCD projector.
This device is connected to an LCD projector through that VGA port.

My questions are:
1.) Is this project attainable?
2.) Is a System on a Chip (SoC) appropriate to use for our required operation?
3.) Since SoC can support an OS, can linux be programmed to perform our specified operation?
4.) If SoC cannot support our specified operations can we consider using an ITX motherboard? (As long as we can manage to enable it to perform an embedded operation according to our Professor) If yes, is it really possible for us to enable it to perform an embedded operation?

Thank you very much... We really need your opinions and ideas...
God Bless...

Some NEC projectors have CF slots and can display photos, or an iPod with video out would work.

We are aware that there is such an existing technology, but we wanted to further utilize the use of USB. Other than that, our professor wanted us to become exposed to building embedded systems...

ITX is obviously the simple way - but all you're doing is using an existing computer to do it (which I wouldn't give you very good marks for). I've no idea what SoC is capable of?, but you could certainly design custom chips to do anything you wanted.

As with any project, break it down into separate sections, and work on them one at a time.

ITX is obviously the simple way - but all you're doing is using an existing computer to do it (which I wouldn't give you very good marks for). I've no idea what SoC is capable of?, but you could certainly design custom chips to do anything you wanted.

As with any project, break it down into separate sections, and work on them one at a time.

http://www.siliconfareast.com/soc2.htm
this link contains information regarding SoC's...
I guess our professor suggested this due to the limited time constraint.
we would really want to hear from you..

By the way, i am a "she" and this project is driving me nuts... :D
Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back