Help! creating automatic plant watering system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello
APWS=automatic plant watering system
While my 1 watt led's which i ordered for my previous project are on the way to me, i plan to build an automatic plant watering system which i have been thinking for a while now. I always forget watering the plans even though those things are just few feet away.

Anyway, i can easily build APWS using one of those digital timers but these things are quite expensive as i am looking for a cheaper way.
While searching Google i found this interesting circuit.

I just need to know whether it will work as it shows in its schematic, this circuit is quite cheap and easy to build. But i am wondering how efficient will it be? If i build this, how do i set it up, coz i have 5 to 7 plant pots, do i need to connect wire jumper of A and B to each pot separately?
One more thing:-
It might be stupid of me to ask but does current flowing into the soil can affect the plants in any way, i mean any side effects of feeding them electricity?

If you have a better and cheaper circuit please do share it.

Again i appreciate all the help..
Thank you

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO, Clarkdale44!

Moisture level sensors are, surprisingly, difficult to design and maintain. The circuit you have provided might work, but not as currently designed.

.. do i need to connect wire jumper of A and B to each pot separately?

That method won't work for any system if you have different watering needs between the pots: any one pot needing water would result in ALL pots getting watered.

Depending on what you're growing, would a timed watering regimen, wherein all pots received equal watering time (amount of water could be adjustable), be adequate? If so, how often and for how long?

For the money, https://www.zoro.com/leviton-timer-...gclid=CIDp-qP1l8cCFZM6gQodJf0PXA&gclsrc=aw.ds looks good to me.

My watering system does not rely on soil moisture measurement , as it tends to be unreliable ,( probes disappear ! ) and most plants don't need a constant degree of wetness, they do need good drainage so if you set up a timer to water regularly ( in daytime ) and then adjust pump and frequency for conditions, if plants are inside then a relative humidity / temperature sensor can aid automation.
Edit add pic.
This shows pump will run 5 sec at 13:00 hrs , all runs of a 12v battery with small solar panel.

Attachments

• tap-1.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
As with most Indian Internet circuits, that one is very poorly thought out, created by a real newbie. The sensing electrodes will disappear in less than a week because the naive designer puts DC across them, and electrolysis happens...

My wife just returned home after a week visiting relatives out of state. Following a week with me I am pleased to report her house plants as well as the two dogs are all alive and well. I remembered to water the plants and dogs as well as feed the dogs.

Seriously, those watering systems really are not very good for all the reasons mentioned. The best solution is a timer system where all the plants receive water daily at the same time for a short period of time. Timers like this can be had very inexpensive and generally have a battery backup to maintain the date and time information. A water supply, a solenoid valve and a drip line is about all that is needed. Soil moisture sensing is a pain in the butt and with the posted circuit your probes will corrode and go away or as said disappear. Your plants will become very unhappy.

Ron

Yeah, i guess you are right, its just that i thought if i could find a more cheaper way. Anyway i will look around a little bit and if i don't find anything good then i am gonna go with the timer.
Thanks for all the help guys...

I have a design for a small farming controller suitable for ebb and flow hydroponics or just watering. It's setup to run off a 5Wh solar panel and a small Gel cell with 3 days no sun operation. S/s Sensors like EC (A.C.) , moisture , temperature and so on. Capable of setting upa timed cycle as well including an option for artificial light cycles with an added SSR. It requires a 12VDC pump too run the liquids. Has a 2 digit LED display for all modes with 2 push buttons to run the menus etc. Has colored LEDS for warning about a pump prob or a battery prob or just display a heartbeat each minute to show that all is well. It uses a PIC 16F886 and I'll share the hex if req'd.

Well, i don't have a big garden to water only few pots maybe (10 to be exact). So buying a timer would be a complete waste of money, i just wants to make simple timer using some IC's transistor and resistor maybe few caps or whatever under few bucks. A circuit to cut off/on water pump or solenoid valve, daily for few seconds to minutes at a specified time. Is such a circuit really expensive to make?

Have you considered a leaky pipe , here in UK we have a rubber pipe that leaks , you could make a water system with normal pipe between pots with some sort of securing method in the pot , attach to outside water or even a water butt , it will last a couple of years at least. https://www.leakypipe.co.uk/help_faq.htm

A simple 24hr timer triggering a pump timer would work , but accuracy may be difficult , also power requirements for circuit and pump.

Not really expensive, but probably more complex than you think, depending on how precise you want the timing to be.
Here are some points to consider.
There are three time periods/points which need to be established, namely
1) a 24-hr period,
2) a start time within that 24-hr period,
3) a water flow period following the start time.
The first period needs to be precise, otherwise the start time will drift.
There will have to be some way of setting the start time, so that will require input selector buttons/switches and perhaps a display.
The flow period will need a manual adjustment control.
The timing circuitry output will need a buffer stage to drive the pump/valve.
Since pumps and valves are inductive, protection of the circuitry against back-emf voltage spikes will be needed.
All in all it will almost certainly be more cost-effective just to buy an off-the-shelf timer.

... Is such a circuit really expensive to make?
Relatively speaking, yes.

A DIY "one-off", such as you suggest (and alec_t delineated), will cost more just in parts, than any one of the timer examples that have, thus far, been offered as a solution.

Well Clarkdale, I have an extra unit built/tested already. If you like I can send it to you for the cost of shipping. It fits in a 4"x 2" electrical can as its housing. Shipping from the Caribbean to the U.S.A. (I presume u are there?) will be around $12 via Paypal.
Here is the Operations manual for it.
Also a pic of it installed in an inverted 55 gallon potable water tank housing as an indoor/outdoor hydro. farming unit, 30" diameter floor space.. That unit grows around 50+ plants of the green leafy type.

Attachments

• Pentagro Controller Operations2.zip
    216.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Vertex Proto.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 243

Such a circuit is more often cheaper to buy than make.

Ron

Thanks for your kind offer, but i think i am gonna wait for a while before deciding which one to buy. I may or may not buy the timer, it may not worth it for the plants i have right now, but because of the timer i might actually upgrade my pots into a small garden in future...

Last edited:
as far as i read gro ops water cycle goes by 15min on, 15 min off, a cheap ANALOG 40$ pool timer is perfect for this, and are rated up to 15 amps.
a 555 timer is more for something in the <10 second range.

the cheap alternative i can think of is to get a pail that takes , ie, 15 min for your pump to fill, then use a bell siphon to create the flush when the pail gets full

The Mrs. Doggy has me designing a garden similar to the one posted earlier, I intend to make everything automated and will be using a micro controller for all my sensors / switching , which is what you could replace the 555 in your circuit for, to run the relay/transistor. However I only recommend this if you want your control unit to be expandable and/or if your are interested in taking the time to learn programming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…