Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help here pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYFu

hey ppl, i need help for my final year project. basically, we are doing a open parking lot, powered by solar panel and batteries. we have IR transmitter and receiver at each parking lot. we only have 5, it is just a prototype. i still need to design a 7 display segment in order to show the number of available slot left, it will be much more useful. so this mean, the number shown on the display segment will always be 5 if there is no car, and if a car comes in and park, it will be 4. basically, just -1 from the base number. and +1 if a car leave the lot. what micro controller should i use? or if nt, is there any simpler way to achieve this? how should i go about doing it? i do nt have much time left to do, maybe abt 2 month. i need serious help, thanks alot.

What microcontrollers are available to you? What programming language are you familiar with?

Start with a block diagram, for such a circuit almost any micro would work.

is it relatively a simple circuit? im not too familiar with micro controller, it is not taught in our module. what programming language do you recommend? fast and simple 1 will be ideal.

Sound's like you're completely unprepared. Why not do something that you understand? Since you're not taught microcontrollers why use them?

then there is other way to achieve this goal by not using micro controller? not that i know of

There are several threads in these forums for and about "People Counters" where the people entering a room up count and those leaving down count. People in a room or cars in a lot, same thing as to counting. Do a forum search for people counters and you may get some good ideas using discrete components rather than a micro controller. I may have a rough circuit at home I could post later as at work now. There are plenty of other ways to do it. Think about it!

What is the maximum lot capacity? How many cars?

Ron

Last edited:
Since you're your planning on doing some kind of electronic project, I have to assume you are comfortable with at least interfacing and electronic circuit design; if you happen to know C/C++ (or a language with a similar syntax, like Java, Javascript, PHP, etc), and you're up for some long nights and cramming, then I would look into using an Arduino (see Arduino - HomePage for details). Use an IR phototransistor/receiver pair (or a laser/phototransistor, or an ultrasonic sensor, etc) to detect the cars (you might want to use two in-line - so you can sense direction of travel). Use an HD44780-compatible LCD (or a serial-interfaced LCD) for a display, and maybe a couple of buttons/switches for input/reset/etc. You got some work ahead of you; while the Arduino isn't well liked on this forum (PIC is dominant here), it is the best option for beginners, and when you want a project up and running quickly. There are tons of example code for just about everything out there to help. If you have questions, post 'em here, and/or over at the Arduino forums... Good luck!

I'm curious why a final year student would have so little knowledge on their final year project?

I gave up on that curiosity. I guess I went to a different school. I just apply the "don't ask, don't tell" theory. :)

Ron

Before I forget, as mentioned earlier attached is a basic schematic of a people counter using old TTL chips. The values of R1 & R3 are determined by the sensors. If your parking lot exceeds 10 cars you will need to cascade the 74193 with another. This is a basic start to where you want to go using discreet components.

Ron

Attachments

• People Count.gif
    People Count.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 200
I'm curious why a final year student would have so little knowledge on their final year project?

I notice that nearly all students at the University of Toronto in Mississauga are from Asia. Maybe they come here because the teaching over there is awful.

reloadron, that schematic design that you show me, is the link that -1 and +1 for car leaving and entering yes? just to confirm?

reloadron, that schematic design that you show me, is the link that -1 and +1 for car leaving and entering yes? just to confirm?

Yes, if a car (person) enters it will increment up 1 count and if leaving it will decrement down one count. You select the sensors based on what works for your application, also space the sensors on what works for your application. Read the data sheets on the chips used and understand the logic as that is what it is all about. You need to add a display and display driver obviously. You need to set up the 74193 to count to 5. Maybe if 5 cars enter and none leave a light comes on saying "LOT FULL". You get creative.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back