Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in Capacitor Discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiththevp

I have a 9800uf 200v capacitor in a power supply that I would like to discharge in 1 second or less. I am connecting a bleeder resistor or a series of them to the cap to discharge but I can't figure out which one to use. I know that I can only have a max resistance of 45 ohms to get the cap down to 20v in about 1 sec. Also I have 5 10 ohm 10 w ceramic resistors that I would like to use if possible. What would your recommendation be for the proper resistor or is there a way to wire the ones I have?

I have a 9800uf 200v capacitor in a power supply that I would like to discharge in 1 second or less. I am connecting a bleeder resistor or a series of them to the cap to discharge but I can't figure out which one to use. I know that I can only have a max resistance of 45 ohms to get the cap down to 20v in about 1 sec. Also I have 5 10 ohm 10 w ceramic resistors that I would like to use if possible. What would your recommendation be for the proper resistor or is there a way to wire the ones I have?
hi,
To what voltage level do you want to discharge down to in 1 second.???

Down to 20v

Hi
Look at this family of discharge curves, 10R to 100R in 10R steps.

EDIT:
Attached the Power curves
Connect 4, 10R 10W in series

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 176
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 152
  • AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
That graph just shows exactly what I posted that at about 40R the cap would be down to 20v in 1 second. This info I already know. What I am asking is how I would wire my 5 10 ohm resistors to accomplish this. I know I can put 4 in series to get 40R however I don't know if the resistors can handle the 5 amp surge at the start of the cap discharge.

So will the resistors be able to handle the 5 amp surge?

If not can you recommend the part number or specs of a resistor that will be able to safely discharge the cap without failing?

Are you attempting to short out the cap to work on the circuit or as a permanent safety discharge feature? If the latter, one normally expects to see a value much higher value of resistance that will drain the supply at a much slower rate (like about 5% to 10% of the power supply’s rated current) taken directly to ground. That is why one will normally give a power supply 30 to 60 seconds after removing power before touching it.

If the former, then the size is relatively unimportant because heat is generated for such a short time (about .7 second in your case). While a 5 watt rated resister is required if it was permanently connected, you can probably get away using a half watt resister since you will probably want to use some type of handle that will also dissipate some of the heat.

I made a dual output power supply that puts out 150v dc or 12v dc. Problem is when you switch from 150v to 12v those caps are charged at way to high of a voltage so I am making a circuit to completely dump the caps when ever you switch sources or turn the unit off. Since it only takes 2-3 sec to switch from HV to LV it needs to dump fast.

I made a dual output power supply that puts out 150v dc or 12v dc. Problem is when you switch from 150v to 12v those caps are charged at way to high of a voltage so I am making a circuit to completely dump the caps when ever you switch sources or turn the unit off. Since it only takes 2-3 sec to switch from HV to LV it needs to dump fast.
hi Keith,
If self heating of the 10R's becomes a problem, if you switch frequently, fasten the 10R's to a small aluminium plate.
I am assuming that they are the rectangular, white bodied type.

EDIT:
Look at this current discharge plot, thru 40R, choose a dump switch contact to suit.

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Since the resisters are only connected during the dump phase (I’m assuming that you intend to use something like a 3-position rotary switch to ensure proper timing), then power dissipation should be only a minor issue. ½ what should work. If I was building it, I would use 1 watt since I tend to over engineer everything. :)

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!

ericgibbs: I use a 40amp 300v dc SSR to switch dump load on and off, so I should be good. Also they will all be mounted to a large heat sink since I made the case for the PSU out of heat sinks.

EternityForest: yes the two switches that control the HV and LV modes can not be activated unless the opposite side is off. So if I have the LV side switch in the on position it will only actually turn on if the HV switch is in the off position.

Gary B: I am using two DPDT switches and some relays and an SSR to control instead of a 3-way rotary, sounds more difficult then it had to be but that is what I had. And as far as timing I am not flash gordon so I figure it would take far more then 1 second to turn off one switch, switch output cables(since no 1 load I use will need HV and LV), and then turn the other on.

Keith

P.S. I am really glad I gave this forum another try. The first time I came here for help was about this power supply and I was told it is not possible and will blow up or worse!! Well, guess what, it works flawlessly. So again thank you everyone for all the help.

Sorry I was thinking of the 380v ones I have that are AC, the DC ones are only 220v still way more then I need. Here is a link

**broken link removed**

I calculated that resistance for getting 20V after 1 second would be 0,093 ohms using this formula:

Attachments

• R_discharged.png
    R_discharged.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back