help needed in piezo electric guys.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky06

recently i came across an article..... from this i got an idea of charging a li-ion battery using piezo electrics... the only prob faced is current requirements... the current from a piezo crystal is very low... is there any techniques to enhance or boost the current value.... this may look foolish but its a just a thought arised....HELP ME EXPERTS .......

Well, I'm not an expert in piezo electrics. Actually I have never used one for energy harvesting. However, recently I have read **broken link removed** article which seems to describe a solution to your case.

Independently of the previous mentioned article, I believe that one possible solution would be to use a super-capacitor. The piezo electric transducer charges constantly (well, whenever there is available energy from the environment) the super-capacitor. When the charge in the super-cap is above one certain threshold, then you can use this power to charge a li-ion battery. While charging you can continue to charge the super-cap. When the charge falls below a low threshold, you shut the battery charging off. The switching control can be done either with a MCU or with comparators.

I haven't implemented this, but I hope it will work!

The piezo effect is at best a very poor source of energy there really is no getting around this basic statement. For the size cost and mechanical frailty there are much much better ways of generating electricity from mechanical motion.

Last edited:
nickagian.... thanks for ur suggestion buddy..... ur idea sounds good....... let me implement it test .....

Sceadwian.....i agree ur statement but the voltage produced from a crystal can be more..... we can even take the gas lighter as an example... when a thing can produce such an high voltage why cant try to increse power through some transforming techniques.... it doesnt mean that i am opposing ur statement but i jst want to know let out my thoughts.

First of all current boosting can be done in a number ways but using them with transducer to charge a Li battery doesn't seems suitable.Moreover output of transducer is erratic so I don't feel it is wise to use a transducer for charging a battery.

Have you played with piezos before? You'll know how difficult it is to harness any form of useful energy for storage if you've delved with them. I made disdrometers out of them, so I guess I'd join with the ranks: been there done that.

However, if you still want to go ahead, be my guest. Post your progress here, I'd like to see it.

rocky, sorry but you seem to be disillusioned. You can not use transforming techniques to increase power, power ALWAYS goes down during a conversion process, entropy always wins in the end. You can increase current at the cost of voltage but this can not increase the power available. Just because a piezo shock ignitor can generate a high temperature arc over a modest air gap means absolutely nothing when you consider how infinitesimally small that pulse lasts, the total power is incredibly low. In a lighter it's useful because the actual power comes from the butane in the lighter not the igniter, the initial spark does nothing more than sets off the reaction.

There have been some attempts to use more sophisticated peizo elements to generate power, but to my knowledge none of them can generate any useable power without something like thousands of people walking on them, and the intial costs makes the meek amount of power they produce simply not worth it.

Ask a manufacturer to make you a piezo transducer the size of a soccer field and about 1000 people to jump on it in sync. Then you can charge your little battery from the peizo. It is very impractical.

..... or put as soles for peoples shoes, but everyone has to be wired up into one gigantic network. Kinda what we've been trying to do, er, unite everyone under one system?

I do kind of like the idea of a bellow type heel system for active people (such as people like me that stand and move actively at work) It adds a little extra effort to the persons movements (kind of like walking on sand) but allows you to extract that energy for personal portable devices.

guys guys... recently i came across this article.... read that and give ur comments......

**broken link removed**

if u say that its not possible to charge a battery from a piezo crystal then how come this way be possible....

A battery charges with current. A piezo produces almost no current. The article was written by a reporter who misinterpreted a news bulletin about tiny piezo crystals being more efficient than bigger ones.

A battery charges with current. A piezo produces almost no current. The article was written by a reporter who misinterpreted a news bulletin about tiny piezo crystals being more efficient than bigger ones.

Which tends to happen on the net on a regular basis. Correct information even from a designer can be called into question.

They design stuff that won't work in the real world. When you ask them did you actually build one they say no, but it should work?

Now that you mention that, they've got backpacks with solar-harvesting material... Kinda cool.

I'm looking forward to some of the new Nano technology's coming out. Hopefully in my lifetime. One of my techs tells me their is a new water based product that can be sprayed onto surfaces, Plants and the like.

It's a surface application of glass nano particles so small they won't even let water pass between them.

It has to be re-applied if washed ect but you just never know what's next. Like the bending light thing I posted in another thread.

Oh, yes you could do better putting shakeable flashlight chargers on your feet.

How's it gonna be useful?

Well the nano structures used to bend light could maybe be impregnated into the glass. This would then be latticed created to do what ever pattern you want in order to influence the intensity and direction of light.

Now, you have a switch of a sort. At a very small level so 0 and 1 delivery system. It could comprise a form of logic if need be. But, of course I'm bending a few laws of physics but, seemingly so are they.

I don't know if you have seen this before or not. I thought it was pretty cool.

Bending Light

killivolt: I have to admit I wondered about "bending light" as the 'gravitational lensing' type of it, and I was right.. this is totally wicked..
More recently, he and his group fashioned a "carpet cloak" from nanostructured silicon that concealed the presence of objects placed under it from optical detection. These efforts not only suggested that true invisibility materials are within reach

Again.... wicked. O.O

Not really a misinterpretation, just a distortion of the information provided.
Apparently the specific structure they've made is twice as efficicent as other types of piezo crystals larger or smaller, obviously some kind of harmonic effect (who knows what the requirements are though) Okay so that much is cool. But double nothing is still nothing. The lack of piezo transducers to provide current isn't a matter of a mere 100% increase from current outputs, but more like millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…