Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on how to make a 120v timer that converts into 12v to run a small motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvermax2k2

Hi all,

You are probably going to laugh at me, not just because this has been answered in some form before, but also because what I am making will be considered as silly to some.

My cat is over weight. what does that have to do with my question? a lot! hah. I want to rig up a timer that plugs into a wall outlet that will control a DC motor for about 5 seconds every 24hrs. Essentially the AC timer will count down 24 hours, and then allow power to travel to the DC motor. The motor will then operate, allowing a certain amount of food to pass into my cats dish. This way, my girlfriend knows I am not overfeeding the cat, and when I am away on business, I don't have to worry about food.

I have a solid understanding of how AC power works (can run my own romex, and install switches, lights, outlets, etc. And I also have a terrific understanding of DC power - IE car stereos, resistors. However, I am not well versed in specific components, micro processors, converters etc, and their functions, and how to make this all work. I saw some pre-made units on Ebay, but they cost a lot! Besides, I am running out of projects to do around the house.

I'm just not sure what converter or timer I should buy - I really need someone to steer me in the right direction. thanks all in advance!

Buy one of those air fresheners that have a motor and gearbox. It is the one that you put a can of air spray into and it pushes the button for 1 second every 30 minutes or so.
The cost is less than $25.00 and you have all the works and timing already complete in a package.
The motor rotates a cam a small amount every 30 minutes or so and you can use this to dispense food.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back