Help On LED Torch Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

haks83

hi everyone im sorta stuck i have an idea to build a LED lantern because i wanna turn the nights into day, im planing on using 50 (could use more) white 50,000 mcd led wich i found on ebay but i dont no how to creat the circuit and dont no what other components i would need to use i have googled alot but couldnt find anything so i was wondering if anyone would like to help me out in designing the circuit

thank you

Rather than using an insanely large number of LEDs, use a single power emitter, like the one linked below.

rswww.com |  LXHL-MWEC, Lumileds Lighting, Wht enhanced low dome lens star LED,1W, 467-7503

The simplest way of getting the LED to light is to use a series resistor. The forumula to calculate the value can be found using Google.

LED series resistor - Google Search

Of course this isn't the most efficient way of powering an LED, especially at higher power levels where a switching regulator is more suitable.

**broken link removed**

This should help you wire up your LEDs. Your 50,000 mcd LEDs probably have a narrow angle, maybe in the 20 degree range. Kind of directional, also at 12 volts, you'll be using around 350 ma, about the same as a 1 watt emitter, which usually have angle of 120 degree for similar brightness. Kind of depends on what sort of torch you want. Your LEDs will be more of a tight beam, like a spotlight, a single 1 watt emitter will be more like a lantern.

torch circuit

thanx alot with those links guys but with this circuit board would i need any capacitors or other diodes apart from the LED

Your 50,000 mcd LEDs probably have a narrow angle, maybe in the 20 degree range.

just wanted to say that i found some **broken link removed** at core electronics that are 100mA and wide angle, sounds like they might be great for a job like this

they are really bright, i used them for a lighting display and controlled them with a pwm signal and a fet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…