Help troubleshooting LCD monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

My Dad's >3 year old and just out of warranty monitor developed a problem. He said that there were vertical lines that were 'out' (I assume he meant appeared dark) running on the left side of the screen. He said the rest of the screen was fine, just that some lines on the left side weren't working.

Any idea what may have caused this? I am hoping it is just some drive circuitry or something I could replace.

NM, it must have been a bad cable or something. I hooked it up to my machine and it worked fine.

Yay free 20" LCD for me He'd already replaced it by the time I got to fiddling with it today.

Last edited:
OK, it appears the problem is intermittent.

There were greenish-blue vertical lines alternating every other pixel for about 1" width of the monitor screen near the left edge.

I'll pop it open to check for caps.

Well, let's just say they don't exactly make those to be user-serviceable.

I couldn't find any signs of any component damage. It's in the garbage now. Ces't la vie.

intermittent lines on screen may be caused by connectors going to the screen. sometimes these loose contact, but can't be soldered, try marking where the lines occurs on the screen with a blotted tape to reduce adhesion, then open the case and locate the ribbon feeding the screen, apply some pressure to that area and see if the lines go away. If so use some form of a compressible rubber on that area, It will apply some pressure when you replace the metal shield back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…