Help understanding gain bandwidth product

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I'm currently learning about the LM3886 audio amplifier and a non inverting board with gain of 11. The chip has a minimum GBP of 2MHz but they are rated at up to 8MHz. THe load is just a resistor of 4 ohms and i'm working in the frequency range above audio.

I understand gain bandwidth product as for example this: Gain (11) x bandwidth (100KHz) =< GBP (2MHz)

What I'm finding is the output is also voltage dependant. And it is this bit I don't understand.

For example if I drop the input voltage down to 0.1V I can go up to 500KHz.

How is GBP also voltage dependant?

I have also noticed clipping in some circumstances. The reason for that came to me at that time but has since vanished. Why does that occur?

Thanks for your help.

Antknee.

Attachments

• LM3886 datasheet.pdf
    852.4 KB · Views: 155
There is another characteristic that is voltage/frequency dependent and that is the Slew-rate (typically given in V/µs). This limits the peak output voltage for a given frequency. The maximum slew-rate of a sine-wave is 2Π*f*Vp where Vp is the peak sine-wave voltage.

Last edited:
Yes that makes sense. Thanks!

THe slew rate is 19V/us max, 8V/us min. So at 100KHz I should get a minimum Vp= 12.7V.

25V peak to peak is quite good at that frequency.

Thanks,

Antknee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…