Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help w/ project: squirrel-cage fans on e-motor to help distribute heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCS

Hello!

I found an old McLean Engineering cooling fan. I removed the squirrel cage fan assy from the chassis.

The motor is marked "115v, 2A, 3100rpm, Capacitor 4mfd @ 400V, Class F, thermal protection", etc.

A wiring sticker on the chassis: "Air Flow Switch: White=common, Black=N.O., Green=N.C."

It moves a LOT of air, like a leaf blower. It's smooth but the fans are a bit loud. It's a hog: startup peak is 2.4A, 250w for almost 2 seconds. Running = 1.15A, 140w.

The fan assy is small enough to fit in a short wood-joist "ductway" in my house that allows heat from the woodstove to distribute into an adjacent room.

My project is to modify the fan assy so that it runs much slower (quieter and uses less power), and then install it into the ductway to pull heated air into the other room. Conveniently, I have romex passing thru the ductway, so I can install a junction and receptacle and maybe even a switch.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Questions:

1 - what is the purpose of the Nytronics 4mfd 40vDC capacitor on the N.O leg? The cap was mounted to the exterior steel surface of the chassis. Is this an oil cap, or dry? Is it a filter of some kind, or related to startup draw, or what? (these questions are just for my education, thanks :) )

The existing motor is strong and smooth and quiet by itself; no slop in the bearings/bushings; turns real easy.

2 - What's the best approach? Is there a reasonably efficient way to slow down the existing motor? Or do I need to replace the motor with a smaller one?

The fans come off easily. They are on 1/4" shafts on either end of the motor, held in place with set screws.

3 - Is there a chart somewhere that lists rpm/fan diameter/cfm lookups?

Possibly, I could get a motor with one output shaft and use only one fan instead of two.

4 - What about DC motor running off a wall wart or other transformer?

5 - lastly - where does one buy small and medium size electric motors? Are surplus motors okay, or is it better to buy new? Links to favorite suppliers?

Priorities: reasonable budget, efficient.

THANKS!

Welllll - projects are fun, and my fan was free, and the squirrel cages can be super quiet at the lower cfm I need, and the duct fan you linked is the loud kind and it costs $73 which is less fun overall.

I'm thinking DC motor is probably the way...

Anyone have links to reasonably inexpensive 12v DC motors, salvage etc?

Maybe even auto salvage? I wonder if any automobile blower fans have 1/4" shafts?

Another way might be to replace the 3600 rpm (3100 rpm under load) with a 1600 rpm model, if you can find one. Since it would be using much less power it could be a smaller one.

Surplus motors should be okay since the bearings typically last a long time on a motor.

The cap is either a starting or running capacitor, probably a running capacitor. It shifts the phase of one of the windings to generate a rotating field for the motor rotor. Without it the motor would just sit there and hum without turning, unless you give it a spin.

Edit: 1/4" shafts are pretty small. Are you sure they aren't larger?

Last edited:
Welllll - projects are fun, and my fan was free, and the squirrel cages can be super quiet at the lower cfm I need, and the duct fan you linked is the loud kind and it costs $73 which is less fun overall.

I'm thinking DC motor is probably the way...

Anyone have links to reasonably inexpensive 12v DC motors, salvage etc?

Maybe even auto salvage? I wonder if any automobile blower fans have 1/4" shafts?

All right than if you want to play you can try a fan speed control made for ceiling fans. $20 or $30 dollors at the home inprovment stores. Just watch your power ratings. Andy

4pyros - I'll check out fan controllers.

Carl - thanks, you were right. Shafts are 5/16, not a quarter.

I found a 1/40hp 1140rpm AC twin-shaft motor on a surplus site. It's face mount. It says G26 frame.

I need four face mount holes on either end of the motor that are either 2 5/8" centers or 3 5/16" centers (my mounts accommodate either dimension).

I've looked but I can't find a spec for G26 frame. I assume that spec would tell me centers for the face mount holes? Anyone know this?

Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back