Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Winpic800 + David Tait Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

I like to use Tait Serial Programmer (Name in IC-prog) with Winpic800, because I need to program some PIC which is not support by IC-prog.

I have configure everything, and confirm the signal with voltmeter, but it does not work at all, however the programmer work well with IC-prog and Nigel's WinPicProg.

What's wrong? Is it timing problem? If yes, how to set in WinPic800?

Thank you,

Attachments

• hwsetting.gif
    hwsetting.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,606
  • TAIT Classic Programmer.gif
    TAIT Classic Programmer.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,846
Problem solved

Problem solved, by the latest WinPic800 3.59 , have a option of changing delay clock under the *.hwp file.
DELAYCLOCK_LTP=15
DELAYCLOCK_LTP_NT=15

P/s: Winpic also work for me.

Hi dude i'm new to pic programmer and having some question regarding to the tait classic programmer you posted. In the picture you posted, there are two 7407 at the left hand side, the bottom one label with 13, and 12. what are these two number refer to? the 12 end should connect to where?? sorry i'm abit confused with those numbering. And is all those grounding to the same pin? can all ground point connect to the parallel port's ground(pin 18-25)?

This programmer support 16F84A right? Isnt it need a crystal to function? i saw from some site, they using crystal sometimes. Getting confused :confused: :confused:

sorry for my bad english :eek: :p

kac121 said:
In the picture you posted, there are two 7407 at the left hand side, the bottom one label with 13, and 12. what are these two number refer to? the 12 end should connect to where??

The number refers to the pin number of 7407 IC. This IC is a 14-pin IC and inside it has 6 buffers, each taking up two pins as input and output pin respectively. 6x2 = 12 pins and the remaining two pins are positive 5V and 0V(Ground) connection pin.

So you really need a single 7407 IC to build the circuit. Just connect the pins with the correct pin numbers shown in the schematic.

The pin 12 is not connected to anywhere and left unconnected as the buffer is not used in the circuit, a spare one, so to speak.

kac121 said:
sorry i'm abit confused with those numbering. And is all those grounding to the same pin? can all ground point connect to the parallel port's ground(pin 18-25)?

Yes.

kac121 said:
This programmer support 16F84A right? Isnt it need a crystal to function? i saw from some site, they using crystal sometimes. Getting confused :confused: :confused:

If you refers to the programmer setup, then no crystal is needed. All the timings are generated via the data pins of the parallel port.

After you programmed the PIC, it will need a crystal to work in external circuit or you can use a simple R-C circuit with the PIC to form an oscillator. You need to setup the configuration fuse/bit to select the clocking option.

Last edited:
eblc1388 thanks alot for the explanation, now i fully understand how it works already. Now i have one more question, what is the fuse/bit setup you mean? if not wrong that is the software part configuration right? how do i know which fuse/bit i have to select ? is it vary for different programmer setup?

sorry i'm really newbie to this, is there any nice tutorial about the fuse/bit setting? i tried to google it but all those tutorial seems too complicated and too long.

The configuration word/bit has nothing to do with the programmer. It is a certain non-volatile "memory area" inside the PIC to store important information related to its operation.

It defines among other things how your PIC is being clocked in your project. You can have the options of using crystal, resonator or simply a R-C combination for the clocking, but you have to tell the PIC what to use first.

You can do that in several ways. You can setup up the configuration fuses/bits in your ASM or high level program, or you can manually select/change them inside the programming software just before you "burnt(program)" the PIC.

The details of the configuration fuses are listed on page 21 of the 16F84a datasheet.

Note: you can not change the configuration bits when the PIC is running, you will need to erase the PIC and do a reprogram if changes is required.

Last edited:
sorry i have 1 more question,from the pic what is the R4 value? how come it labeled with 4k7 ? is it 4.7k? and R6=1.2k?
and the 7805 and 7812 does it matter if i take 78LS05 and 78LS12?

yes, they are 4.7K and 1.2K.

This is a good way to describe the value of a resistor because if the value is printed as 4.7K, the fullstop(period) between 4 & 7 would easily disappeared after several photocopying of the schematic and one ends up with the value of 47K instead.

I have never heard or used 78LS05 and 78LS12. My advice is to use the 7805 and 78L12 for your circuit. Using the 78L05(TO-92) would result in it being hotter than the 7805 and they cost about just the same anyway.

Thanks for the reply,
i'm asking just in case they are not selling at my place, alright i'll try to get whatever you've mentioned. thank you

If you can't get the 1A versions then the 78L05 and 78L12 will both work fine. They are rated at 100mA. If the circuit ever takes more than about 10mA then something is seriously wrong.

Mike.

The supply current of 7407 alone is 29mA typical, 40mA max. This is in addition to the PIC current.

Still well within the capabilities of the 78L series.

As you pointed out earlier, there is very little difference in cost so you may as well use the bigger one. The questioner then stated that he may not be able to get them. I simply pointed out that the L05 will be sufficient.

Mike.

I never said 78L05 can not be used, I said it will get hotter than using the 7805.

My post is to let Kac121 know and not to panic that a current of 40mA is still normal.

Thanks a lot Mr.Victor PS. I am also facing this same problem. I have made the new hardware of David Tait's Programmer. It works fine on some computers and does note work on my computer. I did not find any solution till now. But the delay in LPT port solve the problem.
Its great , I will appericiate you.
Asif

how can prog, it hardware 16f676? which changing req.... . pl help .right now i am using jmd prog .but some problam....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back