Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with biasing resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1zard

Hi
Could someone give me a hand with calculating a biasing resistor please?

I want to use a transistor as a switch to drive an LED, as in the attached circuit diagram. I have used various ways of calculating this, some which work, but I'd like to know the correct method to approach this calculation.

DSC01358 (Large).JPG

hi,
The way that you have shown is an inefficient way to drive most loads, including an LED.
Try if possible to place the load/LED in the collector circuit of the transistor.
You MUST have some form of current limiting of the current thru the LED, else it could burn out.

I have attached a circuit showing one option when using a transistor to drive an LED.
Again its inefficient, as the LED requires only the series resistor, no transistor or bias resistor is required.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 199
Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned this is a simplification of the circuit - the base of the transistor is actually being driven by a 5V logic high or low, rather than being strapped to the positive permanently, hence the transistor in the circuit.

Can you clarify a couple of points for me?

Why is it preferred to put the LED/resistor on the collector?
What calculations need to be done done to calculate the resistor at the base? It what circumstances can it be excluded?
Why is the Hfe assumed to be 10 or 20 - the datasheet gives a higher value than this?

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned this is a simplification of the circuit - the base of the transistor is actually being driven by a 5V logic high or low, rather than being strapped to the positive permanently, hence the transistor in the circuit.

Can you clarify a couple of points for me?

Why is it preferred to put the LED/resistor on the collector?
What calculations need to be done done to calculate the resistor at the base? It what circumstances can it be excluded?
Why is the Hfe assumed to be 10 or 20 - the datasheet gives a higher value than this?

Hi,
Point #1. When the LED is in the emitter circuit its almost impossible to drive the transistor into saturation [ which ideally you want to do in a switch].
Note your point about the logic drive to the base, always have a series resistor when in common emitter mode.

Point #2, The higher Hfe's shown in the d/s is for the transistor operating in a linear configuration. ie : as a linear amplifier,,, when used as a switch and its in Vce saturation the gain is quite low.

OK.

EDIT:
Added your circuit, to show the losses.
Almost 0.8V across the transistor, so reduced LED current.

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Thanks for all the information! Out of interest, what software are you using to draw the circuit diagrams?

Thanks for all the information! Out of interest, what software are you using to draw the circuit diagrams?

I use LTspice, its a free download.
Its main purpose is as a simulator of electronics circuits.

There is a Yahoo LTspice user group online which has lots of examples and libraries.

When the transistor is an emitter-follower with the same supply voltage as the source signal then the base resistor is not needed.
The input is a logic high voltage (not +5V from a power supply) that might be as low as 2.4V if it is from an old TTL IC. Then the LED will not light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back