Help with distance detection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliveralan

Apologies for my ignorance regarding this question. I was hoping an expert might be able to assist.

I'm working on a project in Stockholm to develop an alternative solution to GPS on a golf course. We're currently trying to find a suitable technology but at present we don't have one that ticks all the boxes.

Ultimately, we're looking for a product that can inform a player how far away he or she is (exactly) from the hole. Is it possible to have a transmitter located in the hole (or in the flag stick) which communicates a signal to a hand held receiver stating the distance between the devices?

I would be forever grateful if anyone could suggested a technology that might be able to support this solution. Thank you for your time.

You could time a sound BANG! trip from the hole to the player. The reference to start the timer could be a radio signal.
Temperature, air pressure (height) and humidity affect sound.

you could put a transceiver on the hole, and then push a button on your handset to send a signal which would then trigger a signal on a different frequency by the transceiver, and time the difference between when you issued your pulse and the received pulse. Problem: 400 yds = 1200 ft. Radio waves travel 1 ft/ns (correction: 11.8 inches, or .98333 ft), therefore, you'd be measuring a 2.4usec difference in time (signal has to travel out and back). So, even if there are no delays in starting your timer, returning the signal, and stopping the timer, so even with a 100MHz clock for your timer, which yields 10ns per count, or about 50 foot accuracy (4.66 yards). I believe this is why Audioguru suggested sound, travels much slower.

Mike
I think the variation in turn on time for the receiver/ transmitter in the hole would swamp out any difference in time of flight to the hole. John

Hi

I'd like a device that could provide info on what to do in a particular chipping or putting situation.

Evaluates moisture, topography, etc. Maybe a message that states "medium force, up/left" or "lite force, dn/straight", or "forget it..go home"

Maybe program it using an attachment to sample the force of your putting strokes...

eT

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

The above link probably will not work. Try searching for "Golf range finder". I have used one. The one I used needs a reflector on the flag pole. Some of these do not require a reflector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…