Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with EA bar pin of p89v51rd2

Status
Not open for further replies.

digantshah

hi everyone,
i have a confusion that if i keep the EA bar pin high will it block the on chip 64k flash or it is for external memory connected seperately

EA* is only for program memory. When it is driven low, all instuction fetches are from external memory using P2/P0 for the addrees/data bus and using PSEN* (Program Store Enable *) as the OE* for the external memory.

Data memory is altogether different. That uses ALE, RD*, WR*, and P2/P0. Data memory access only happens with MOVX instructions. No other instruction can generate RD* or WR*

Read the datasheets very carefully to avoid going astray.

Last edited:
thank you papabravo

so if i have understood it
the 64k on-chip flash of p89v51rd2 is the data memory and the EA bar pin has no effect on it

please correct if wrong

Last edited:
That is just backwards. The 64K of on chip flash is in all likelihood the PROGRAM memory. If EA* is high your program memory fetches will come from the internal flash. If EA* is low then the program memory fetches will come from what ever memory is there. This is actually a useful diagnostic tool.

1. Take EA* low
  2. Take Reset High then Low
  3. Force a NOP instruction on P0 during PSEN* == 0
  4. Wathe the Address bus count from 0 to 0xFFFF and repeat

Last edited:
store program in the on chip flash

when i flash my p89v51rd2 does the program directly go to the on chip flash?

how to store program on the on chip 64k flash program memory

need help.... very urgent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back