Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with PIR Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyi

Hello everybody, my first post with request for help.

I purchased a PIR sensor with the view to incorporating it in a lighting rig to switch on at night on the stairs. My wife is now pregnant and we have very old twisty stairs. As neither of us likes to be blinded in the middle of the night I have purchased the following:

1 PIR sensor array.

1 Transformer.

2. LED lights.

The plan being that if the sensor is activated, the low level LEDs will light the stairs.

Here is a scan of the sum total of instructions for the sensor:

**broken link removed**

I wired it up as I believed to be correct. However all that occurs is the lights come on and stay on there appears to be no input from the sensor.

I wired it in the following way (Sorry I do not know diagrams so I will explain)

I wired the live and neutral of the sensor power to the mains power (live and neutral in the above diagram).

I wired the neutral on the transformer to the mains electric. (powers the LEDs)

I wired the Red output load wire from the sensor to the live of the Transformer.

I wired the Leds to the transformer output (I know this part works as they light up)

What I would like to know is have I wired incorrectly, the only other way would appear to be live from the sensor to the transformer and load to the neutral plus live to the sensor from the mains.

Or is the sensor faulty. I played around with the LUX settings and time settings on the sensor to no avail.

Many thanks for any assistance, any problems I take full responsibility for, I am not playing with live electrics!

garyi said:
Sorry here is the link for the actual sensor as well:

**broken link removed**

If you are sure of the wiring, are you sure that the LED's are trying to switch? I assume (verify this) that the PIR module has a witch output that is triggered by the PIR sensor and runs for a time length both adustable. Well, make sure you do not have your LED's permanently wired ON.
If it were me, I would disconnect LED's and verify that I can get the module to try and switch. If this is wired correctly then make sure the LEDs are able to be switched.

Be very suspicious of your wiring job. 90% of all problems (with a good design) are due to wiring error IMO. Bad sensor is not out of the question but it should be the very last thing considered as it is assumed your module was tested at the MFG.

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I am not an electronics wizard, I have done basic wiring about the house, but all simple lights to electric type of thing.

I purchased this sensor module on the assumption that once the sensor is triggered it would simply allow the flow of electric up the chain, in this case to the LED transformer, providing electric for the LEDs. To an extent something is working, because they come on, and stay on, the sensor appears to have no say in the matter.

There are two adjustors on the sensor, one for LUX, i.e. what the ambient light should be before the sensor starts working and TIME, how long the light goes out.

My problem is the diagram above was everything I was given, so I am only working on the basis that the LED transformer requires power in and out, and that the sensor Load is providing power in.

As to if the LEDs are able to switch, well I assumed this was down to the sensor?

I should just mention the Sensor is basically a package, all I am responsible for is wiring it up to the electric and Load.

garyi said:
Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I am not an electronics wizard, I have done basic wiring about the house, but all simple lights to electric type of thing.

I purchased this sensor module on the assumption that once the sensor is triggered it would simply allow the flow of electric up the chain, in this case to the LED transformer, providing electric for the LEDs. To an extent something is working, because they come on, and stay on, the sensor appears to have no say in the matter.

There are two adjustors on the sensor, one for LUX, i.e. what the ambient light should be before the sensor starts working and TIME, how long the light goes out.

Do you have a multi-meter? That diagram leaves alot to be desired. I assume that the terminal marked "load" is the one that is switched. Something like the LED's recieve power on one side and the otherside (load) is switched to complete the path to turn them on or off.

With a multi-meter you could deduce which pins are what and where the switch part is and then make sure you connect the LEDs to it correctly.

Can you send pictures of the LED cable or how you have it hooked up?

Or you could make a simple drawing in MS. paint or something else that comes with Windoze.

My problem is the diagram above was everything I was given, so I am only working on the basis that the LED transformer requires power in and out, and that the sensor Load is providing power in.

As to if the LEDs are able to switch, well I assumed this was down to the sensor?

Many thanks for your help.

As it goes I did have it wired correctly. I became impatient and purchased another one which works perfectly.

Thanks again

I hope your still on here I have near same problem i am also doing the pir with leds but when the pir senses movement the lights come on but they do not go off when they are ment to, they just flicker ?
did you use a different type of pir in the end ? please help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back