Help with purchasing a DMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkc100

I am considering which Digital Multimeter to purchase and I am confused by the way the specifications are listed.
I need a multimeter that will do several things but for now let's just consider the DC current.
I need a meter that will read 0-10 amps with a scale that shows at the very least .1 of an amp.
One of the meters I am considering lists is specification as:
DCA: 0 - 600uA - 6,000uA +/- 1.2%, 60mA - 600mA - 10A +/- 2.0%
or there is a more detailed description of:
Current range 10 A, Resolution 0mA, Accuracy +/-(2.0% of reading + 3
digits)
If someone out there could help me understand what this all means in relativity simple terms I would be very appreciative.
I have viewed several web site but got lost in counts digits and such.
Thank!

This may help a little:

Taken from **broken link removed**

Ron

Thanks so much for the response.
Perhaps I am over complicating things but I haven’t been so confused by a set of number since the last time I negotiated a cell phone contract.
I am currently working on a solar project and I need to measure the output of the panels.
The tags will typically read some thing like this, Isc(A) 3.74 Short circuit current.
This is a reading taken directly across the output terminals of the panel. The meter I currently have has been a disappointment in that it will, from the example read 3.
The meter I am thinking of purchasing is a 6000 count meter with the following DC amperage specifications in the 10 amp range
Range 10A, Resolution 0mA, Accuracy +/- (1.5% of reading + 3digits)
From the picture provided of the meter I can see there are four digits.
Again taking the example of 3.74 amps what would I expect to see on this meters display? 3, 3.7, 3.74, 3.740
Finally how do I interpret the accuracy? Using the same example would the readings be accurate to within +- 1 amp, 1/10th of an amp, 1/100th of an amp or 1/1000th of an amp.
Any guidance you can provide in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

This is the part that has me a little confused:

Range 10A, Resolution 0mA, Accuracy +/- (1.5% of reading + 3digits)

The resolution of 0 mA is what concerns me. Additionally a DMM that reads or has an accuracy of 1.5% really isn't a very good DMM. It may be fine for simple test like voltage but @ 3 Amps the accuracy is +/- 4.5 mA which sounds good but if the meter lacks the resolution to display it then it is a moot point. If the resolution was stated as for example .010 Amp (10 mA) on the ten amp range it would make sense but the 0 mA has me wondering what they are getting at. Got a link to this meter?

Ron

Yes I do
The meter I am looking at is made by a company called Mastec
The unit I have been considering is a MS8220R
**broken link removed**
There is a better description at the site I am actually thinking of purchasing it at.
**broken link removed**
I to wonder what 0ma could mean. There may be some clues in the rest of the specification sheet.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.
Thanks!

OK, here is my take on it. The resolution is actually .01 Amp on the 10 Amp range with an uncertainty of +/- 2%. So measuring 3.74 Amps for example the meter could read between about 3.67 and 3.82 Amps. Now we add in the allowable counts error and we get about 3.64 to 3.85 for an input of 3.74 Amps.

I don't get why they use the 0 mA in resolution but I see it as being 10 mA resolution. Maybe someone else here has a thought on that.

Overall it is an OK meter for general use. There are much better hand held DMM meters out there but they carry a hefty price tag. When I say hefty I mean upwards of $400.

Hope that helps a little.

Ron

Ron
Your assistance in this matter has been invaluable and greatly appreciated.

When I started looking for a new meter I needed one that could do three things that none of my other meter could.
1) As I already mentioned was to measure amperage.
2) I needed to measure true RMS voltage. I measure voltage off inverters that produce a “modified sine wave” that seems to give the normal meter that average a sine wave voltage problems.
3) Finally I needed to measure frequency. It’s necessary when tuning a generator. The specification there were a frequency/voltmeter with 0.3% frequency accuracy and 0.5% voltage accuracy. I am measuring between 50 and 60 cycles per second at 100 to 150 volts.
You can’t imagine how long and how many meter I looked at before at last finding this one. As best as I can read the specification and with your help it seems as though this one fits the bill.
From your last post, and if I might paraphrase a bit the 10 amp scale on this meter should give me a reading +- 1/10th of an amp.
If that is the case that is perfectly acceptable especially in light of the alternative of 400 some dollars.
By the way the specification listed on Mastec site list the accuracy as +- 1.5% on the 10 amp scale, if that is the case so much the better.
If you don’t mind and have the time it would be helpful if you could give me your input on point 2 & 3 listed above.
Once again thanks!

No problem as I noticed it does measure True RMS, so measuring a modified sine should be no problem for you. It will give you the resolution and accuracy you want for the current, not great but adequate based on your post. It should do fine for frequency too so that should cover your needs.

I did notice the 1.5% vs. 2.0% discrepancy so in my example I just went with worst case.

Ron

Now I just need to find a vendor that has it is stock.
iMarkets.com has the best price I could find but the meter is on back order with them until the middle of this month.
I will probably just wait until around the 15th to see if they can make good on the order.
The next closest price I could find was nearly 20 dollars more.
There are a few Chinese importers that offer a good price up front but when I figured in shipping, handling and such it got to be more than iMarket.
Well I guess that about does it.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…