Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with sensor connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

Hi again. I just bought the attached Flexiforce sensor and have a few questions. Im attempting to merry this to a PIC as a simple weight sensor. The problem is I've never messed with op amps before and have a basic understanding of their operation but how in the attached schematic do you get negative power (-5vdc/-9vdc)??? Could someone give me a brief explanation or even better make me a schematic of this connected to a PIC? Any info or links other than wikipedia welcome. THANKS!

Attachments

• DatasheetA201.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
strokedmaro,

Looks like a cool sensor. I don't know anything about PICs, but maybe I can help with OpAmps. OpAmps do what they can to make the difference in voltage between the inverting (-) and non-inverting (+) inputs zero. Since the non-inverting pin is connected to ground, the OpAmp will produce enough voltage so that the voltage at the inverting input is 0V. This will occur when the current through Rf is equal and opposite the current going through the sensor Rs. So, since Vout = If x Rf and Vt = Is x Rs and If = -Is, we can say that Vout = -Is x Rf and Vout = -(Vt / Rs) x Rf = -Vt (Rf/Rs). So, you will feed this output voltage into your PIC AtoD pins and read the voltage in mV. By applying a negative voltage to your sensor, you assure yourself that Vout will be positive and be inversely proportional to Rs.

Hope this helps,

DavidBear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back