Help with some capatiance

Status
Not open for further replies.

srajpal

I was just running something in my mind about shooting objects into space using magnets. I was starting to calculate the energy needed (which is easy enough, E=(mv^2)/2), and then I tried to figure out how big a capacitor would be needed to store and fire that power and I am not so good at that. I was wondering if someone could help me out.

So far I have the following:
E=6.272 x 10^10 J needed to get 1000kg to orbital velocity (11.2 k/s)
so I figured I could get C (capacitance) by using C = (2E)/V^2
and assuming V to be 50k volts I got

50.176 F, yes that is 50 Farads not microFarads

so now I was wondering how big a capacitor I would need so I thought I would use C=e(A/d) to figure out the Area needed but I dont know the d (distance between the plates), e can be e sub 0 which is 8.8541878176 x 10^-12 F/m

does anybody know what I am talking about?
does anybody know if it is possible to create a 50F capacitor, even in series?
am i crazy?

-- Sunny

THe last time I heard about this was 9 years ago or something and I think there was some weird physical thing that was realy difficult to overcome (or something like that) which made it almost impossible (without some advances of course). I didn't know that much back then so I can't get into very many details. I think the energy requirements were ridiculous (or something).

The higher capacitances get, the harder it is to make them able to withstand a higher voltage too. A 1F 20V capacitor is very hard to make (if not impossible without stacking them right now), so imagine a 50F, 50kV cap!

!!!!

If I remember right, a 1F capacitor would require plates that are has an area in the realm of km^2.

Last edited:
The 50 farad capacitance is no problem. Don't have my catalogs at hand, but caps up to 20 farad are available. Of course, they are limited to 5.5 volts or less...

The idea of launching loads into space is interesting. You might find that the "launcher loop" idea is a bit related. It involves running a steel link belt several miles long in the vertical plane. Loads are coupled to it magnetically. The induced velocity is enough to reach orbit.

I presume you are doing this as an intellectual exercise. If you are serious then don't forget to consider the resistance of air if the plan is to launch objects within the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…