i am fresher in pic 16f877
i am just studying it
i want to know why we r writing(datas like phone number) in eeprom

saran said:
i am fresher in pic 16f877
i am just studying it
i want to know why we r writing(datas like phone number) in eeprom
are you asking WHY ? or HOW..?
refer to EEPROM read/write section in its datasheet.
further if there is a lot of Phone nos , an external memory would be better.

We write data into EEPROMs because we don't want to write it down on paper and we want a computer to be able to access it quickly.

Sir , why we chose EEPROM data memory instead registers or some other memry. is there any specific reason for writing in EEPROM?

EEPRom is non-volatile, has good rewrite endurance, and can be written and erased in "fine grain". Lately, it's probably flash since flash is cheaper, but flash has to be erased in blocks and has less write endurance I believe.

Registers are numbers stored inside a microprocessor while it's operating- not mass long-term memory. Harddrives are big and bulky but have tons of space and are mechanical. RAM loses it's data when powered off.

The EEPROM in the PIC is meant not as memory for the program, but is meant to store things "operating settings or calibration" that are more permanent than RAM, but less permanent than the program code.

Let's not forget it's also easier to stick EEPROM than a harddrive into a chip. Some of the new dsPIC chips don't use EEPROM for this anymore- they use flash instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…