Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice311087

hi guys,i would like to know if any of u can help me with a cellphone charger circuit using a flyback converter...(12V input-required output 5v)...its for my project

ice311087 said:
hi guys,i would like to know if any of u can help me with a cellphone charger circuit using a flyback converter...(12V input-required output 5v)...its for my project
You don't need a flyback circuit. They are for getting high voltage from low voltage. You need a buck converter, or, if the current is low, a linear regulator, as Krumlink suggested.
Whether this is what you actually need for a cellphone charger, I don't know.

no...the thing is i have been asked to specifically do this as a project...
a charger using flyback converter or any simple circuit that uses a flyback converter...

thanks for that piece of info Ron...then is there some circuit that steps up a lower voltage to 5V...maybe from the ordinary 1.5v battery..

ice311087 said:
thanks for that piece of info Ron...then is there some circuit that steps up a lower voltage to 5V...maybe from the ordinary 1.5v battery..
You can use a flyback converter for that.

blueroomelectronics said:
You can buy AA cell phone chargers for less than you could build one for.
But if it's a school project, he might not get a very good grade if he buys one and submits it as his project.:D
Of course, it might not be a school project. What a surprise that would be!

RadioRon said:
Isn't the classic Joule Thief circuit a flyback topology?
I looked up a few definitions of flyback converter, and they seem to be pretty consistent in saying that the output is isolated by a transformer winding from the source. Otherwise, the circuitry is like a boost converter, which I guess the joule thief is. I'm sure you could modify the joule thief to have a transformer-coupled output, but why???:D

RadioRon said:
Well, I was really just curious.
No, I didn't mean why were you asking. I was just asking a rhetorical question - why would anyone want to implement the joule thief with transformer isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back