Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurtgen44

Hi,

I'm a total novice on electronics so please go easy on me! I have a Denon Amplifier and there is a mute/standby light on it. This has come on and stayed on resulting in total loss of sound. The unit had been working fine for a couple of years up to now (hand me down...no remote...get the idea...).

The model number is PMA 425R.I don't really want to pay a small fortune for someone else to repair as I have been exposed to electronics at college whilst doing my electricians exams and really am interested in learning more.

So....can anyone give me a pointer as to what might be the problem and what or where to go next? Denon suggested that this light might indicate a safety shutdown...

Thanks for your help (in advance)

Dave

I think you can edit the title; not sure though.

Power amplifiers tend to have a lot of interdependent parts, so one component can blow several others. This makes troubleshooting/repair sometimes difficult.

I suggest opening it and looking for blown fuses. If it works after replacing, fine. If not, it's probably time to look for another hand me down. If you really want to go further, then look on the net for a schematic (about $25). I see on the net that the amplifier seems to be worth about € 140.

Thanks for your help. i've been told by someone else to bin it and get another but, eager to understand this subject a lot more, I quite fancy trying to repair it myself. I'll take the cover off tomorrow and have a good look around.

I'm into my third year of an electricians course and, to be honest, the particular subject is the first that's interested me!

Thanks

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…