Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hi nigel - some language problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi nigel..

i have some questions.

1. is pic a risc or cisc microcontroller.

2. does the original assembly language used to program pic - is same as used in 'pic basic compiler' or 'pic basic pro compiler'.

3. can i use the same language in keil microdivision software.

4. should i start with pic 16f628..

thanks..

simrantogether said:
hi nigel..

i have some questions.

1. is pic a risc or cisc microcontroller.

It's RISC - the 16F series only have 35 instructions.

2. does the original assembly language used to program pic - is same as used in 'pic basic compiler' or 'pic basic pro compiler'.

The assembler requires assembly language, and BASIC compilers require BASIC soucre, which is then compiled to assembly.

3. can i use the same language in keil microdivision software.

Not PIC assembler!.

4. should i start with pic 16f628..

It's a good choice!.

thanks nigil ...

thanks ... you have been helpful..

one more question...

do i have to understand the registers of the pic microcontroller ... if i am programming it in c.. i think not reqd. ... because it is the work of the assembler..

please also tell the name of the programmer that is issued by the microchip... i think it is 'ic2d'.... what is the proper name.. i forgot.

thanks..

I think you have to understand. Sometimes if you need to enable some function, say interrupt, you have to set the bit of the register. Something like this I think: GIE=1

The programmer is ICD2

you have to know almost everything about the registers probably. Just to make some port output you have to set some bits in some register. And you need to know what and where. Especially when you start working with timers and I2C and USART etc. There is no way you can get around that fact on any microcontroller.

simrantogether said:
thanks ... you have been helpful..

one more question...

do i have to understand the registers of the pic microcontroller ... if i am programming it in c.. i think not reqd. ... because it is the work of the assembler..

I've always said, and firmly believe, that if you don't have a reasonable knowledge of PIC assembler you won't be very good at writing PIC programs in C or BASIC. Assembler forces a knowledge of the hardware on you, and that knowledge is crucial in C or BASIC. It's perfectly possible to understand the hardware from a C or BASIC perspective - BUT, it's not forced on you like assembler does, and people generally don't bother (plus the information isn't easily available apart form in assembler).

please also tell the name of the programmer that is issued by the microchip... i think it is 'ic2d'.... what is the proper name.. i forgot.

The ICD2 is a programmer and in-circuit debugger, it's only one of the MicroChip programmers - they are a number of far cheaper clones available now, such as the InchWorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back