Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Current PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMBacker

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to your forum, and by no means an electronics expert. I have a basic knowledge, that's about all.

I'm a general engineer for a company dealing with used automotive parts, and I have been tasked with developing a method to test solenoids in transmissions. These solenoids operate on a 12 VDC Pulse Width Modulated signal. Some of the solenoids will be as low as 1 Ohm, so the current can be fairly high. I would like to design the tester for around 30 amps to ensure we can test anything that might come up in the future.

I need to produce this 12 VDC PWM signal. I need to be able to set the frequency before the test begins, and I need to be able to control Pulse Width during the test. The tester will be completely automated, programmed with LabVIEW, and I need to control the PWM signal from the LabVIEW program.

What I need from you guys is help finding the right hardware for this job. There are several PWM boards available through National Instruments, but they are all lower current. I would like something that is built and ready to use, no assembly necessary.

Thanks for the help.

your best best for what you want to do is to use the national instrument module and add a current boost to the output... minor assembly but you have all the support on the instrumentation end.

You should be able to use one of these high speed solid-state relays, which are good to 15kHz, to boost the current from the National Instrument PWM module. It should be quite simple to connect the two together.

Note: Be sure you add a diode across the load (cathode to the positive side) to suppress the inductive transients of the solenoid, which likely will otherwise blow the relay. Since the transients are short, a 10A or larger diode should be sufficient for this. Edit: Noticed that Power-IO also sells some recommended diodes for transient suppression, so those are obviously good for this purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back