High current symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Is there a symbol to denote large currents, in much the same way as a zig-zag denotes high voltage? I ask because I'm designing the front panel for my meter project.

Many thanks

Depends on what you are considering a high current?

To me the term 'high current' doesn't start to have meaning until around 1000 amps or higher.

I don't think there is since, although high voltage is dangerous, high current (by itself) is not.

Certainly no more than 30A - probably more like 10!

"High voltage" in this case only means a couple of KV. I still haven't worked out what the limits are going to be for either range.

It's not to indicate danger, just as an LED/switch marker. I couldn't find a symbol on Google images, so thought I'd ask if anyone knows of one

Anyone feeling artistic, then?

Cheers

High + current = waterfall

Here you go:

Last edited:
Hi,

There is probably no symbol for high current because you dont get high current unless you try or you make a mistake. And anyone that designed a circuit that had high current would have already figured out how to handle it. But yes, there could be a potential for high current which maybe the operator doesnt realize, such as with a 10,000 watt 10v power supply <chuckle>. In this case accidentally shorting it out could mean a disaster. Just like a 12v automobile battery, it would be perhaps a good idea to put some sort of high current warning on them because if accidentally shorted out it could blow up and injure the user. So a high current warning on some things sounds like a good idea to me.

That's nice, love the word play - I might use it! Thanks, alec_t

Of course "high" is a relative term. 20mA is high if it's passing through your heart :/

On mobile plant vehicles and automotive schematics higher current lines are usually drawn in thicker black.

when i was a calibrator in the army, we had a 300A power supply for calibrating ammeters and ammeter shunts. the open circuit voltage was only 5V. to test clamp-on ammeters we used a wire loop connected to the supply, and it would move when more than 50A of current was being driven through it (and would align itself to be perpendicular to earth's magnetic field). driving the loop to 300A would result in the loop getting very warm, so we had to take the measurement quickly.

How about a fuse symbol or a picture of a fuse with the fusible part glowing red or being attacked by a lightning bolt?

ClydeCrashKop - nice idea but too complicated!

Unclejed613 - fascinating stuff

I think I'll use the waterfall idea, but with a thick line in it.

Thanks for the input folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…