high power low cost electronic switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumbodaddy

to who so ever:I am from the world of high powered SCRs. Is there any difference between IGBTs and GTOs(not cars)please explain the difference if any. What are the highest current devices with the lowest cost per device now available quickly? thank you

blueroomelectronics said:
but they can't be turned off once on unless you remove the power.

Not exact true Bill, they need the current through them to drop below their holding current - and their's no need to remove the power to do that.

Standard speed control on forklift trucks, milk floats, and dodgem cars is by SCR using a DC power supply - simply use a capacitor to turn the SCR off.

I still haven' figuered out how to use your message board please tell me where to look for any answers to my questions

jumbodaddy said:
I still haven' figuered out how to use your message board please tell me where to look for any answers to my questions

Fairly obviously here in the thread where you asked it, but why not just use google to find the answers yourself?.

Hmm how do you hook up a cap to the motor so it eventually turns off the current?

blueroomelectronics said:
Hmm how do you hook up a cap to the motor so it eventually turns off the current?

It's a standard technique, you switch the capacitor across the SCR, this momentarily shorts the SCR out, reducing it's current to zero, switching it off. It's normally done using two SCR's, with the capacitor connected between them, one is the motor driver, the other is just used to switch the capacitor across the first one. Bit like a flip/flop, as one SCR turns ON it turns the other one OFF via the capacitor - which is actually reverse charged as well.

To anwser the question, GTO SCRs is an anti-SCR comment. It means Get The F*ck Out SCRs, we hate you!

No seriously, it means Gate Turn Off, a GTO SCR will turn off when the gate voltage drops below the cathode voltage by a certain amount and a normaly SCR won't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…