Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High power supply schematic (220v-32v, 100A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyco81

Hi. I'm new here. I made a search but I could't find here a schematic for a high power supply (output 32V, 100A). I also need to know what components to use please. Can anybody help? Thanks v much. Great forum.

I'm sorry to say that your question is one where the fact that you have asked it has shown that you need to know a lot more before starting to make a power supply that big.

DC power supplies that big need circuits to prevent turn-on surge damaging things, and you need to consider power factor correction because the current waveform will be very non-sinusoidal.

Either start with a smaller power supply or buy one.

Use a common constant voltage (wire feed) welder power supply. Most units are adjustable between 14 and 40+ volts and will have no problems supporting 100 amp loads.

Last edited:
I'm back. I updated my profile. I need the power supply for a radio station (emision-reception).

Last edited:
DC power supplies that big need circuits to prevent turn-on surge damaging things, and you need to consider power factor correction because the current waveform will be very non-sinusoidal.

Not really. You will find that most typical welders and plasma cutter power supplies ,even into the tens of kilowatt power capacity ranges, do not have any form of turn on surge suppression or power factor correction systems built in. ;)

To me a 32 volt 100 amp load is just 3600 watts plus the efficiency losses or one average 5 hp single phase electric motor.:)

Last edited:
Welders don't need power factor correction, the current at the output is modulated by the AC line. Surge and short circuit protection is built into the transformer design via a generous amount of leakage inductance.

The requirements for a DC power supply are very different.

To output 32V 100A you'd need either a huge transformer and capacitors, or a complex resonant SMPS with active PFC.

Welders don't need power factor correction, the current at the output is modulated by the AC line. Surge and short circuit protection is built into the transformer design via a generous amount of leakage inductance.

The current and voltage regulation depends on weather its a constant current type power supply like a stick or TIG welder uses or a constant voltage power supply like a wire feed or spool gun uses.
Constant current power supplies tend to have a 80 volt or so open circuit voltage regardless of what amperage they are set at and can be either AC or DC output.
Constant voltage power supply's typically have a 12 - 48 volt DC output ( some more some less) but do not have any current limiting built in.

The constant voltage ones are by design the most stable regardless of load variations and can be thought of as just a massive step down transformer, a big rectifier, and a big set of capacitors with a big inductor that works as an arc stabilizer when welding.
They also don't have any built in current limiting and do rely heavily on the fact that the material they are welding will either burn up or the input power source fused or breakers will blow before the power supply itself burns up.
They are also the best choice for building high current constant voltage power supplies out of as well since many have built in voltage regulation circuitry so at most they may need is additional filtering capacitors and the arc stabilizing inductor (reactor) removed or bypassed although putting a 50/50 split on the extra output stage capacitors on the output side of reactor does help improve ripple filtering and load stability in many cases. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back