High Q in lightning detector circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Q of 60 is not all that high, but should be OK for that application.

JimB

In one sentence the guy says there's a 270k resistor across the chokes to spoil the Q, later he says to use moderately hi Q chokes.

The 1st time I built a lightening detector was 45 years ago. I don't think all lightening tunes itself to 300kHZ so I don't think Q is a show stopper.

Thank you. I just didn't want to spend $1.40 on a part when I could have spent $0.15 on an item and bought a few more. I know some electronics, took a few years in colleges of electronics classes but no electrical engineering. but not much about coils / chokes. Is there a good book to have (something like you would get in school and it would tell you about the different items?

The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill is a 1200 page book filled lots of good information explained in a real easy going way. The paper back version from eBay that's printed in India is pretty cheap. My only complaint is that the newer op-amps and uC's are not in it, but all of the basic stuff is all the same anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…